Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Winterizing for first time

Hi folks,

Just bought my 2017 jay flight 26bh a month ago and thought I'd try and complete the winterization process myself as I live a ways from the local dealer. I looked on YouTube and watched lots of videos but most I watched, the hot water tank has a bypass valve but on mine I don't see that (pic attached). I was thinking that all I would need to do is turn both the valves off but I don't know for sure?? Also, under my sink in the kitchen is my pump and clear hose to place in the antifreeze jug. I see one valve (attached pic) which looks as though this valve is for a water line going in thru the floor but I'm not sure where that line goes??

Just need some expert advise here!

Thank you

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Firstime Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Site Team

The water heater bypass valves could be behind something like an access panel and should be near the water heater. As for the pump valves you turn off the one to the tank and turn on the one to the hose that goes in the jug when pumping in the antifreeze. Below is a link with useful info including instructions and pics of the valve setups.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...12-a-9335.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #3

Mine are under the kitchen sink. Check there.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks Crabman! I took the panel that was around the water heater off as well as another panel in the same cubby (both new pics attached) and as you can see, there's no bypass valve. Could it be that I just turn the black and white valves and then that opens up the vertical line??
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime Fun View Post
Thanks Crabman! I took the panel that was around the water heater off as well as another panel in the same cubby (both new pics attached) and as you can see, there's no bypass valve. Could it be that I just turn the black and white valves and then that opens up the vertical line??
I guess that`s their new system, have not seen that setup before.
Perhaps someone that also has a newer rig can confirm.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Maybe a new system. The other thing is that under the kitchen sink, there is only one valve and that is for the clear line. I looked everywhere under there and there's no other valve! Weird
Old 09-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

The clear line goes in your antifreeze jug, the valve, when shut, should make it draw from the jug instead of your fresh tank. The hose coming through the floor likely comes from the fresh tank.
As for the water heater I'd turn both valves the opposite direction and see if that bypasses the heater. Easiest way to tell would be drain the water heater, close the valves, then hook up the city connection and seeing if the faucets still work. If they do and no water runs out of the water heater drain you have your answer.
Let us know if you figure it out, good luck!
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #8

Thanks bill777x, I'll try that later in the week and definitely provide an update!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill777x View Post
The clear line goes in your antifreeze jug, the valve, when shut, should make it draw from the jug instead of your fresh tank. The hose coming through the floor likely comes from the fresh tank.
As for the water heater I'd turn both valves the opposite direction and see if that bypasses the heater. Easiest way to tell would be drain the water heater, close the valves, then hook up the city connection and seeing if the faucets still work. If they do and no water runs out of the water heater drain you have your answer.
Let us know if you figure it out, good luck!
With no valve on the line to the fresh tank I would think the pump would suck air through that line and not draw antifreeze from the jug. This one has me a bit puzzled.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/im...8-10illust.jpg

Here's a link to a picture of a similar valve that is probably what Jayco is using now instead of the old 3 valve setup that's been around forever. I'm sure its cheaper to use these or they wouldn't be doing it

If you turn the handles of your valves on the water heater lines so they point to the bypass line between them I bet it'll bypass the heater. Same deal on the water pump too, it'll block out the fresh tank and draw from the clear hose when turned the other direction.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill777x View Post
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/im...8-10illust.jpg

Here's a link to a picture of a similar valve that is probably what Jayco is using now instead of the old 3 valve setup that's been around forever. I'm sure its cheaper to use these or they wouldn't be doing it

If you turn the handles of your valves on the water heater lines so they point to the bypass line between them I bet it'll bypass the heater. Same deal on the water pump too, it'll block out the fresh tank and draw from the clear hose when turned the other direction.
If that is what they are using then we will have to update our winterizing page, folks will undoubtedly get confused now with the differences in the new and old systems. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #12

Too late, already confused...lol! This stuff changes so much from what I hear, it would be hard to stay on top of. The diagram fits my situation to a tee. Thanks everyone for your expert opinions. It's great to know that this forum exists for beginners like me.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #13

I have the new 1 valve setup at my pump under my sink but the conventional 3 valve system at my water heater. I guess they decided to change over in the middle of my build!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #14

Just a quick update, winterizing completed. I closed the two valves by the water heater and opened the valve by the pump and everything worked fine. So, to recap, mine does not have a bypass valve or a separate valve to close off the fresh water tank. New system I guess! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime Fun View Post
Hi folks,

Just bought my 2017 jay flight 26bh a month ago and thought I'd try and complete the winterization process myself as I live a ways from the local dealer. I looked on YouTube and watched lots of videos but most I watched, the hot water tank has a bypass valve but on mine I don't see that (pic attached). I was thinking that all I would need to do is turn both the valves off but I don't know for sure?? Also, under my sink in the kitchen is my pump and clear hose to place in the antifreeze jug. I see one valve (attached pic) which looks as though this valve is for a water line going in thru the floor but I'm not sure where that line goes??

Just need some expert advise here!

Thank you

Joe
Just an observation from your picture. Do yourself a favor and plug up those large holes in the floor where the wires and water line pass through.

Mice love to come in to RVs in the winter and these holes are a perfect place for them to get in.

Jayco did a terrible job in my 2015 Eagle and left large gaping holes all over. I used Dow Great Stuff Pestblock foam to close up numerous places where the mice got in.

You will find other large holes where drains, vents, wires and water lines pass through the floors.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Site Team

I think we discussed in a recent thread some of the the new rigs have 2-3way valves instead of 3-2 way valves.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #17

On one of the earlier quotes (from Crabman) for locating the water heater bypass valves. After lifting the lower bunk mattress the rest of the way, i found the secret trap door above the water heater, exactly where the bypass valves are located. All of the instructions mention closing the water heater bypass valves, none of them give a clue as to where they are. Thanks to one of the contributors (Crabman) to this thread, mentioning under the bunk mattress, which I had looked but not far enough back, did I locate the secret trap door.
txpete is offline   Reply With Quote