Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Winterizing - How far do you go?

Rookie question...I live in Vancouver BC, we get rain and temp's ranging from 10 degrees Celsius to -10 (not often) throughout our winters.

I plan to winterize using RV anti-freeze, pull the batteries, and put a cover on. I will also put those moisture absorbing units in, and will be checking in on things every month.

We were wondering if there is any need to remove the mattress(es) for these months?

I am operating under the hope that I remain critter free...previous owner stored the unit where I do for two years with no issues.

I have to think they are fine in there, but thought I'd check with the pros.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cummins Diesel
2013 Jay Flight 26BH
therealsafetya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
We don't take ours out. Just all bedding and pillows - store that in vacuum seal bags in our house. Those moisture absorbing buckets are great - our camper smelled clean and fresh when we opened it up this past spring.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
I never bothered with the mattresses.

I live where below freezing temps are normal from Nov to Apr and the rest of your winterizing matches mine. Also, I don't use desiccants.

When done in time (BEFORE first frost) no problems in the spring.

Critter-proofing is done from underneath the RV. Seal every hole that any insect (or larger pest) could potentially use.
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Mother in law mentioned fabric softener sheets, so we sprinkle a few here and there over the winter, maybe similar method to moth balls? dunno.
2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 Ecoboost, Max-Tow
2013 Jayco 28DSBH
kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
I use compressed air to blow out the lines, then use only antifreeze in the traps. I take the bedding, wash it and store it in sealable plastic containers in the camper. I prop up the mattress to deter any possible critters and in the event there is any moisture. Take out all kitchen and bath soaps, liquids etc and discard the old tooth brushes.

I then set 10 mouse traps in various locations, checking throughout the winter.
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Team
Never took out the mattress except to replace it with a better one. My TT must be pretty darn tight. I have had mice in the house but never any in the trailer.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Never took out the mattress except to replace it with a better one. My TT must be pretty darn tight. I have had mice in the house but never any in the trailer.
I keep all the linens in the trailer (in cupboards), then wash them all fresh in the spring. I don't have room in the house for them. I may consider vacuum sealing them and just leaving them in the trailer for the winter.

As for mildew and critters, I live in the Puget Sound region, and haven't seen either in 7 winters. I remove batteries, remove shower wands, blow lines with air, leave roof vents cracked, and cover the trailer. The fitted RV covers are worth the cost.

Santa has even stowed Christmas presents in there during the season without issue.

tjpolsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
For winter

I suggest not using your stabilizers as they become four more ways critters can get in your tt. Also, dont forget to drain the outside shower if you have one. That one is easy to forget. I also changed the oil in my generator and added fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank.
2011 Jayflight 23FB G2
2003 Chevy 1500 4x4
Wife Peggy and 2 Beagles and a rescue Cocker Spaniel
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
"Winterizing - How far do you go?"

All the way to Arizona
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
Winters around here get cold -- temps of -30*C for extended periods of time are not unheard of. So I go that little extra to make sure the trailer is safe. I remove all of the food products, towels, blankets, etc. I leave the mattress and mattress topper, though. Anything that can be damaged by freezing, and anything that contains a battery are removed as well. Then I blow out the lines with compressed air and pump RV antifreeze through the system. Then I blow it out again, so the lines containing nothing but air and a bit of antifreeze. It sounds kind of silly to do it twice, but it's better safe than sorry. The blown-out antifreeze finds its way down into the drain traps, so I don't need to add more. I give everything a good cleaning and make an appointment at the storage yard, and that's that. I've been doing it like this for years with our old hybrid and it's served me well, so I see no reason to change it.

Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote