Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Winterizing question on White Hawk

We have a 33RSKS and have been reading many different ways to winterize (we had Camping World do it this year).
Supposedly there is a siphon port? or bypass? so you don't use the fresh water tank. Any idea where this bypass is?
Logically, just put 3 gallons of ant-freeze in the tank, turn on the pump and when you see "pink" at the faucets, closedown. Then add a cup of ant-freeze to each trap.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

If your trailer is like most...

There is a siphon hose and valve at the water pump for drawing RV anti-freeze into the water lines. Doing that, RV anti-freeze is not put into the fresh water tank.

The 'bypass' are valves at the tank-type water heaters so that (after draining the water heater and lines) anti-freeze does not flow into the water heater. Without the bypass, you'd need at least 6 gallons of anti-freeze to fill the water heater tank plus more for the lines.

Hopefully that helps. There are a few more steps, but it seems you have a year to prepare to winterize it for yourself next year.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #3

Hello. We have the Jayco Whitehawk, 28DSBH. The siphon hose on ours is located under the kitchen sink. There is a panel with a couple screws to remove. Our water heater bypass valves are located under the lower bunk. The is an access panel hitch lifts up. Again, not sure if this pertains to your unit.
Paddleboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #4

To add on to what Paddleboarder said, you'll really have to check out how it was done because in the Spring you will have to undo what was done. In other words, all of the valves that may have been changed to winterize will have to be changed back for seasonal use. My valves are also located under the panel that Paddleboarder mentioned. They most likely used the siphon hose located there but also bypassed the water heater. You'll see those valves in the same place. There are several other posts on how to winterize a TT posted on this site. You will also have to put the hot water heater drain plug back in that likely was removed during the winterizing. We can help you with this at that time. One helpful comment is that the plastic valve handles go in the same direction as the water. If the handles are in line with the water line, the valve open. If the handles are 90 degrees from that, they are closed.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #5

Just returned from a camping trip to Florida and re-winterized my TT today. My 27 DSRL has the siphon hose behind the panel below the kitchen sink. Just stick the hose into the antifreeze bottle and turn on the pump. Check for shut off valves and make sure the pump only pulls for the siphon hose. You will likely need to use more than one bottle.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Topdown I have the same TT. Just a note when you de-winterize, make sure all antifreeze is pushed out of the lines before reversing the bypass valves to the hot water heater tank. Got just a smidge in mine and it took a half day to get the white foamy water to clear out of the hot water faucets.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

Good tip JHerzog. I almost made that mistake. I reversed the hot water bypass first thing after replacing the drain plug. After thinking about it, I went back to bypass mode before flushing out the lines.