Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
snip.....Should I be worried?.....snip
In most cases the published Tow Rating of a TV isn't normally a problem,but a TV's "available" Payload Capacity can be an issue because a TT's loaded tongue weight is subtracted from the TV's Payload Capacity (TV supports tongue weight).

I assume the UVW of 5,550lbs came off the yellow sticker on the 23MBH, which also has a GVWR of 6,500lbs.

Sample 23MBM loaded family of four: (5,550lbs UVW) + (450lbs cargo, no fluids) + (75lbs dealer battery, etc.) = 6,075lbs Loaded 23MBH.

Sample 23MBH loaded tongue weight: (13% to 15%) of 6,075lbs = 790lbs to 911lbs Loaded 23MBH Tongue Weight range.

How to confirm if the "worry" factor is real: Take your TV to a CAT scale and weigh it under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo). Subtract the CAT scale weight from the GVWR noted on your TV's driver door..., the remaining weight is your "available" payload capacity for the TT's loaded tongue weight and WDH (around 50lbs). CAT scale visit will take a couple of minutes and $9.

If you already have the new 23MBH at home, then take the TV/TT combination under loaded conditions to a CAT scale and preform a complete weigh-in. The following JOF link will walk you through the TV/TT combination weigh-in process. This process will confirm all the weights and confirm that your WDH is adjusted properly.

Hope this info helps.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Thx Chris,
what would you consider close to limits?
I am not experienced enough to comment. To me the limit your truck can tow is what I would tow down the street. I would stay a good 2000 lbs under for mountains. But that is just my thought somebody else should chime in on this

chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote