Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Wrong valve stem on tires

On 8/13/2013 we loaded up trailer for our next trip I had a flat. I took the trailer to tire shop to get new tire because of a nail in sidewall. When the tech took off my tire he removed the valve stem, I told him its only one yr old. He told me I had 45#max valve stem on 65# tires. I said to change all of the stems. All were 45#from the factory. NO wonder I was loosing air. 2 of the 3 remaining tires on my trailer had bubbles on the sidewalls. I had him give me all 4 new tires. I was at my rv dealer this morning. They are going to call the people who furnish tires to jayco. My trailer is a 2012 that I bought on july 2012
swburbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #2

We had a blow out this spring on 4 year old tires. My mechanic told me that all the valves were in poor condition and that he thought the valve may have let the air out of the tire and then it shredded from under inflation. I purchased the trailer used and apparently when the previous owner replaced the tires, he did not have the valves replaced.

Since the consequences of tire failure can be substantial, it makes a lot of sense to have everything checked and taken care of.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote