Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

X17Z Dry Camping in Big Bend ? propane use?

We are going to Big Bend and will be dry camping about 4 days. Anyone have experience on how long the two propane tanks might last for heat/fridge use and/or the battery for lights? I know this all depends on many factors but if you have done it before and explain your usage (alot or minimal, sparingly, etc.) that would help. Any input would be appreciated.

Also...I read on another post that people have replace interrior lights with LED, anyone done that in the X17Z? I might do that to help battery life.

Thanks mucho....Brian
ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanbrian View Post
We are going to Big Bend and will be dry camping about 4 days. Anyone have experience on how long the two propane tanks might last for heat/fridge use and/or the battery for lights? I know this all depends on many factors but if you have done it before and explain your usage (alot or minimal, sparingly, etc.) that would help. Any input would be appreciated.

Also...I read on another post that people have replace interrior lights with LED, anyone done that in the X17Z? I might do that to help battery life.

Thanks mucho....Brian
From topics on this forum, your 12 volt battery capacity will limit you; not propane.

Changing to LED bulbs will help, but your TT furnace fan will drain a battery quickly. Buying a portable propane heater is what some folks have done to have heat without draining the TT battery.

After that, how long your battery will last depends on the individual and their needs for electricity for lighting, entertainment, etc. Use 'very little' power and the battery may last 4 days, use 'a lot' of power for lighting, games, entertainment, etc. and it won't last that long. But what is 'very little' and 'a lot' etc. is very subjective.

After the above generalization, it can become more 'scientific' by calculating battery capacity (amp hours) against how many amps each item draws and how long each item is on. Some of the folks on this site may be able to help you with that, if that is what you're looking for.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanbrian View Post

Thanks mucho....Brian

I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering how you like your X17Z? It was one of our first choices about a year ago when we started looking. Curious how you like the tent sides?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

I have camped in BB - 5 or 6 times and I would recommend a generator and small electric space heater if you are going soon. I am from Austin too and the weather could be great in March or cold as hell. I have a Yamaha 2000 that runs the heater and lights and if you do that you don't have to worry about running out of propane for your refrigerator and stove. It also powers the MWO if I turn the heater off. You'll love Big Bend!
bsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

You don't say how big your propane tanks are.. but I will guess 5 gallon (20 pound) size and for 4 days there you would really have to try hard to use 2 tanks of propane. HOWEVER like already stated your battery will give out before your propane will. LED's are GREAT if you get the right ones.. The furnace will be the big power draw.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

How did your trip go?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Actually that trip never happened, but I am going this weekend and doing our first drycamping experience. I have been getting lots of good info from this forum in another thread, so I think I have it all under control.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

On our first trip we used the furnace the first night just to see how much propane we would use up. That night in temps averaging around 34 (Fahrenheit) we used up 3/4 of a full tank. The battery got us through much of the day but at night we had to run the Honda 2000i. There was no way that battery could have sustained the furnace for any signification amount of time. The Honda generator was one of the best purchases we made for our trailer, I love that thing...
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering how you like your X17Z? It was one of our first choices about a year ago when we started looking. Curious how you like the tent sides?
We like the tent sides. We moved up from pop up and wanted to maintain that element of camping, hearing things, not being totally in a box. About 12 trips thus far and 3 in heavy rain, no problems .