Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

X213 Fair Price

My wife and I are ready to take the plunge into RV ownership and have narrowed down our search to the X213. I like the shorter tow length but the rear slide makes for a bigger effective length and it is on the relatively light side.

I am willing to wait to make sure that we are getting a fair price. Most of the 2016 units we have found online are in the $25k range. I am quite confident that we should be able to get a significant amount lower than that. Is there anyone out there that has recently purchased one that could give me an idea of what you purchased it for? I live in AZ and am willing to drive up to around 400 miles to purchase an already manufactured unit. I have gotten a quote to have one built and pick up in Indiana for $17.8K but would prefer to not have to drive the 1400 miles to pick it up. If we can't get it for a price we feel is appropriate we may wait until next spring to order one from the factory and pick it up in Indiana.

Even if you don't have an X213, does anybody have any advice they could give me on purchasing strategies. I am more than willing to do some heavy negotiations with dealers.

Also, has anybody rented a truck to tow a newly puchased trailer home to avoid the excessive miles on their TV and have the opportunity to fly there? If so, any advice on a company to rent a one way truck capable of towing from?
j12simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

17-18K initially sounds like a real good price but you didn't indicate if you're getting any of the extras (customer convenience, showstopper, etc).
Hertz does rent Ford & GM pick up trucks and I am pretty sure they have tow pkgs. I just rented a Toyota 4 Runner from them and it came equipped with the Toyota factory tow pkg. I don't know if they still do the one-way rental though.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I built it out pretty basic. It would be the customer preferred package (which I'm assuming is the basic package), 15k BTU AC, 27"LED TV and electronic stability control.

I would be ecstatic if we could find the 17-18k within a 400 mile radius but know that probably won't happen due to the added freight that most dealers have to add to the price on their lot. But, it seems like the dealers around here aren't willing to budge much from the price of around $25k, which seems extremely high to me based on the fact that I built one out to be picked up in Indiana for about $18k. So, I have been trying to get in the 20-21k range but have been having trouble. I am hoping I could get some advice from you all on whether that is a pipe dream or I should be able to make it happen?

I've read on here that the target should be around 30% off MSRP and even with that and adding the estimated $2500-3000 freight cost, I feel like my range is fair.
j12simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

22-23k is probably the avg for a good deal as long as it is equipped with some of the conveniences or upgrades. The longer one sits on a dealer's lot, the more they'll be willing to deal.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12simm View Post
My wife and I are ready to take the plunge into RV ownership and have narrowed down our search to the X213. I like the shorter tow length but the rear slide makes for a bigger effective length and it is on the relatively light side.

I am willing to wait to make sure that we are getting a fair price. Most of the 2016 units we have found online are in the $25k range. I am quite confident that we should be able to get a significant amount lower than that. Is there anyone out there that has recently purchased one that could give me an idea of what you purchased it for? I live in AZ and am willing to drive up to around 400 miles to purchase an already manufactured unit. I have gotten a quote to have one built and pick up in Indiana for $17.8K but would prefer to not have to drive the 1400 miles to pick it up. If we can't get it for a price we feel is appropriate we may wait until next spring to order one from the factory and pick it up in Indiana.

Even if you don't have an X213, does anybody have any advice they could give me on purchasing strategies. I am more than willing to do some heavy negotiations with dealers.

Also, has anybody rented a truck to tow a newly puchased trailer home to avoid the excessive miles on their TV and have the opportunity to fly there? If so, any advice on a company to rent a one way truck capable of towing from?
As I live near Indiana can you let me know where you had the quote for $17.8k?
geight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geight View Post
As I live near Indiana can you let me know where you had the quote for $17.8k?
From what I've seen, take msrp and deduct 30% to get a fair deal. Deduct 35% to get a good deal. Start at 35% and work up to 30%. My dealer sold me a 2017 26bhsw for $16,800 at his 'cost' which was about 33% off msrp and he commented that he would get a kick back from Jayco because it was last year's model. He also knocked $150 off the hitch which brought it to internet price, then threw in about $100 in accessories. Hold your ground. We looked at a several units from a few different dealers. Camping world actually caved after about a week to an offer we made on a Grey Wolf but we chose Jayco at the end of the day.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

We ended up driving to Iowa to pick up a 2017 unit. We live near Denver and the local dealers wouldn’t budge from about 25k. Went online and got a quote from a wholesaler for around 17k. It was a little nerve racking finalizing the deal from two states away but it saved us a ton even with gas money. We even worked in a few camping stops on the way back.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again and we love our x213.
wootman is offline   Reply With Quote