Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

X254 weight

Hi,
I noticed a huge(to me) change on hitch weight on this model from 2015 to 2016 versions.
2015 2016
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 455 625
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4450 4705

Have Jayco added / changed something (other than aestetics) to this model?
Does anyone that have this TT have measured their hitch weight?

My TV have a 600 lbs limit so this is critical point to me.

Tks,

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Hi,
I noticed a huge(to me) change on hitch weight on this model from 2015 to 2016 versions.
2015 2016
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 455 625
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4450 4705

Have Jayco added / changed something (other than aestetics) to this model?
Does anyone that have this TT have measured their hitch weight?

My TV have a 600 lbs limit so this is critical point to me.

Tks,
You don't need to worry about it to much:
Even if the dry tongue weight is 625lb, you can easily reduce it to the ~450lb mark just by loading your gear at the rear of the trailer.
Just make sure that the tongue weight WILL NOT BE LESS THEN 10% of the trailer actual weight while towing.
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

X254 weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Girl View Post
Even if the dry tongue weight is 625lb, you can easily reduce it to the ~450lb mark just by loading your gear at the rear of the trailer.
Just make sure that the tongue weight WILL NOT BE LESS THEN 10% of the trailer actual weight while towing.

Which may or may not be possible in this model. I have the smaller model to this, the X213 and due to the rear slide, there isn't a lot of space to load gear in the rear. And it's not practical to store all of your kitchen, bathroom and front wardrobe clothing under the dinette and have to shift it all and load cabinets once you arrive.

The tongue on the X213 is heavy. There is no way I could get it below 600 pounds if I had to. Trust me, I had to and couldn't do it. Our tongue is over 700 pounds; 771 with bikes, somewhere around 720 without bikes.

Also, that x254 is going to weight closer to 5000 pounds once it arrives with all options. And will be close to 6000 once loaded. So you're tongue minimum will be 600 pounds assuming the trailer will even allow you to pack it to keep it at 600. But consider the tongue could be up to around 900 pounds.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

I've had the same issue on my 2014 197. I removed the spare tire From the front n placed it inside while on the move and also removed a 20lb p-pane tank n leave it at home, you only need one. It helped me .

Im looking into placeing the spare in the rear bumper.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

Touch N Go, In that direction I was thinking you could move the battery to the back of the trailer ....
have anyone done this?

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
Old 08-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

I'm sure they have. I've thought about that many times. I just dont have a place for it in the TT. I've even thought about hand cranking the electric jack and removing the battery and placing it behind the seat while on the move. I need to cut weight and that is my last option for now.

Still brain storming this issue.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #7

Yeah this kind of stinks. We ordered before the specs on the 2016 were out so wasn't really planning on such changes.

Wondering how much it will really affect things as the GTWR remains 5995# so the most the tongue could be is 900# at 15%. Will the extra hitch weight listed just make it more tricky to stay within the proper range?

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Girl View Post
Do not load like this to reduce your tongue weight!!!

While it is possible, on average most trailers prefer anywhere from 12-15% tw, so reducing down as low as 10% could be asking for disaster. The tt may pull just fine most of the time with a lighter tw, but in the right (or would you consider it the wrong) conditions it could become a handful very quickly....

Does the dealer have a '15 on the lot still? If so, do they have a sherline scale to weigh the tongue? Maybe Jayco just "updated" the weights to be a little more accurate as the trailers roll off the line???

Good luck!!! Hope it all works out.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #9

Country Mouse, I'm ok with the 6K GTWR i'ts the hitch weight that is a "problem" to me since that not only is above my stated limit but will push me too close to my TV GVWR.....
My thought was that if I can put a hitch for our bikes (5) and the battery on the back that would balance the things....

Old 08-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

RAC,

Something else to keep in mind is the dry tongue weight does not include a battery or the propane tank(s) weight either. Not sure what tank size or if there's two on that trailer, but one 20lb tank and a battery will add a it 80lbs minimum.

Is there a replacement hitch with a higher rating that is available to swap out the factory hitch.

What is the payload of your BMW per the yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb? How many in you family, just the two of you?

Old 08-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

Need a Vacation,
I already did all that calculation including my family weight, etc... The X5 have a payload close to the GMC Sierra 5.3 that someone else shared the numbers on another post...
Even with the 625lbs hitch weight and all cargo I'm still below the limit.... Close but below.
In fact, I'm going through all this trouble just to to try to keep the numbers under the stated limits....
In the UK the X5 handles 7700 lbs and here in the USA I know at least one guy that used to town a 8300lbs 30 Airstream with a 1000 lbs hitch weight with no problems so I should be fine with that, just would like to be by the book....

Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

Hope all goes well!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #13

I think it would be much safer to overload your TV a bit than to repack your trailer to reduce the tongue weight down to 10%.
Travel trailers like a heavy tongue. 12-13% of trailer weight at least or more. Too light on the tongue and you could induce uncontrollably sway.
If you need to tow this trailer with your X5 I would lean toward maxing out your payload or even exceeding it before loading for 10% tongue weight.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #14

Thanks Subaru297,
Wife appreciate that !!!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #15

To some, the most important rating to stay under is the rear axle rating.

Does your axle ratings add up to a fair amount more than the gcwr?

Old 08-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #16

Yes, front rear and total will be under limit up to 770 lbs...

Old 08-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

Being over the max tongue weight of your vehicle reduces cornering capabilities and reduces braking capability. While the guy with the 30' Airstream and 400 pounds over tongue weight said it was fine, he was probably very lucky he wasn't in an emergency situation where his vehicle wasn't able to perform as it should.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #18

Hi SilverEscape,
I'm not sure I fully understand your reasoning.

Cornering:
I'm not sure cornering is something to be taking a look at after you hook a 5000 lbs trailer @ your car, unless I didn't understood what you mean with cornering.

Brakes:
The trailer have brakes so in fact the additional load that goes to the TV brakes are the loads you allow adjusting your braking sensitivity, am I wrong?

Weight limits:
In the case of the Airstream guy he probably was over not only on the tongue weight but also on GVWR....
In my case, the tongue weight will be above but both the max. towing weight and the maximum weight of the TV (GVWR) don't....
So I don't think the brakes or handling of the vehicle would be off of the expected by the designer of the vehicle ....
I have the design maximum weights for each axle and could/will be adjusting the WD to be within the limits....

Am I wrong on the reasoning?

Country Mouse, have you measured your rig? Are you above the limits of your SUV?

Tks,

Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #19

Were you ever able to get an accurate tongue weight on the 2016 x254? I'm in a similar boat as you with a tongue limit of 720...but want to be down around 600 if possible!
geight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Hi SilverEscape,
I'm not sure I fully understand your reasoning.

Cornering:
I'm not sure cornering is something to be taking a look at after you hook a 5000 lbs trailer @ your car, unless I didn't understood what you mean with cornering.

Brakes:
The trailer have brakes so in fact the additional load that goes to the TV brakes are the loads you allow adjusting your braking sensitivity, am I wrong?

Weight limits:
In the case of the Airstream guy he probably was over not only on the tongue weight but also on GVWR....
In my case, the tongue weight will be above but both the max. towing weight and the maximum weight of the TV (GVWR) don't....
So I don't think the brakes or handling of the vehicle would be off of the expected by the designer of the vehicle ....
I have the design maximum weights for each axle and could/will be adjusting the WD to be within the limits....

Am I wrong on the reasoning?

Country Mouse, have you measured your rig? Are you above the limits of your SUV?

Tks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by geight View Post
Were you ever able to get an accurate tongue weight on the 2016 x254? I'm in a similar boat as you with a tongue limit of 720...but want to be down around 600 if possible!
Wow, never saw your question to me. We ended up upgrading our TV from a Ford Expedition to a Ford Excursion so we are not above our limits.

I do not know how you would be able to keep your tongue weight at 600#. Factor in 100# for the weight distribution hitch and 100# for batteries and you quickly use up your available tongue weight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote