Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

I haven't started researching yet but thought I'd post this and get info from you guys. My plans for next summer are to go west. I understand to get a campsite near some of the major parks, you have to book a year ahead. So along about this June, I want to make a reservation near Yellowstone for the next June. Any of you have a favorite park you've used? If I go that far, I'll probably want to stay at least a week in that area before I move somewhere else.
(for right now just gathering info so doesn't matter if you tell me southern or northern part.....my plans may include going on up to Glacier after Yellowstone....)

Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
We planned a trip to Yellowstone for June 2015 made reservation Jan. 2015. No problem . 5 nites at Madison CG west end of park. Then 2 nites at Colter Bay Grand Tetons then?
Fishing Bridge is only CG in Yellowstone with hookups but I've been told very crowded

2011 Jayco 28BHS
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Yellowstone is huge! if you stay outside the Park it takes hours to get to the center of the park. We ended up renting a cabin inside the park to save driving so much.
2011 32bhds
TV 2002 Excursion 7.3 Few mods ;)

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Originally Posted by DieselX View Post
Yellowstone is huge! if you stay outside the Park it takes hours to get to the center of the park. We ended up renting a cabin inside the park to save driving so much.
No, it doesn't take hours. An hour at most. Yes, it is huge. You plan each day. Divide and conquer an area at a time. Don't try to see Mammoth Hot Springs and the West Thumb Geyser Basin in the same day. Get detailed maps (for free online) and get to know the sights in a given area. Each section of the park will give you more than a day's worth of things to see. Don't be tempted to stop everywhere along your drive. Make a note of what you see and build it into another day.

We stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone twice. Less than 5 minutes from the west entrance. Restaurants and shops all withing walking distance. The entire was built around tourism and the park.

June is great time to be there. Waterfalls are flowing hard, there is still snow in the higher elevations, in fact some roads may still be closed.
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
We stayed at Fishing Bridge about a decade ago. It was full, lots of people, but not bad. We did have full hookups. We only stayed a couple of nights before heading to the Tetons. Do your research on-line to see which campgrounds would work best for your needs. You might even be able to look at campgrounds with Google Earth or Google maps. Have fun!
Henk the German Shepherd & Family
2006 Toyota Sequoia
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Last year(early June) we stayed at Grand Tetons RV park at Moran, Wy, about 25 miles North of Jackson. Despite the bad reviews on the park, we stayed there anyway. We thought it was a nice place. No amenities, no wifi or cable TV, but that's not what we went there for anyway. The park had been taken over by new owners, and they were making improvements even while we were there. They did have gas, LP, Camp store. We were there 3 days we felt like we got to see most of the place. In two days in Yellowstone, we drove about 500 miles. We enjoyed the stay.
Randy, Karen & Abby (Pom-a-Poo)
2014 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
We also stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone. Very nice campground and right outside the park. We easily covered the entire park using this as our daily starting point.
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Fishing Bridge is a parking lot for travel trailers. Period. If you want a real "camping" experience at Yellowstone, I recommend Canyon Village or Norris Junction. There are no hookups at either, but you have your own campsite and parking space. At Norris the sites are on 1st come, 1st served basis - get there early in the morning and wait for someone to pull out. (A number of sites open up every day.) You must make reservations at Canyon (but don't wait too long).

Both of these campgrounds are centrally located, with Canyon on the east side of the Grand Loop road and Norris on the west. There are no showers at Norris, but there are showers and laundry facilities at Canyon - a 15 minute drive across the east-west division road of the Grand Loop.

I've stayed at both and had good experiences. Given a choice, I'd opt for Canyon, simply because I can make reservations and all the facilities I need are there.

That said - there are some nice campgrounds outside the park, but you must be out of the park by 10:00 pm and cannot re-enter until 7:00 am. And some of your time is spent driving into and out of the park, but - every turn is breathtaking! There are no bad views from any road in Yellowstone!

Hope this helps you some!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
How did you make out on your Yellowstone trip in regards to vehicle lengths at Canyon CG? The Xanterra website is a bit confusing and it seems to indicate that they cannot accommodate any setup that is greater than '40. There description of determining length is to add the opened TT length to the length of the tow vehicle! I have an X18D and my open length (28 ft. ) + my tow vehicle length (16 ft) is over 40! I can't imagine that anyone is under '40 feet with tow vehicle and trailer added together.

Can you clarify? We are planning a big trip for next summer!

Thanks in advance.

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive any way!"

Alicia and Glenn
Hartford (area), CT
2012 Nissan Pathfinder (V6)
2014 X18D
gvn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Some of the campgrounds in Yellowstone require hard-sided campers- no tents and I'm pretty sure pop-ups aren't allowed either. Canvas won't stop a bear.

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote