Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Yosemite vs Sequoia National?

Hi All,

We're planning a 9 week return trip from Toronto to Vancouver to LA and back to TO. We are brand new TT owners and never done a trip like this. On the advice of all of you, we're trying to book early.

We will have our 2yo and 6mo boys with us so there won't be any extreme sports on this trip We'll be mostly biking, light hiking and beach time I expect.

Since we can't see it all I'm wondering which park you prefer when it comes to Yosemite and Sequoia. I'm dying to see those redwoods! We're doing Yellowstone on the way and the Oregon coast.

Can you also tell me which campgrounds you liked best?

TIA
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

I can't comment on Sequoia. Yosemite is 90 minutes from me. I know you need to reserve your spot ASAP. That campground fills up. If your doing this trip before summer, remember it's still snow season in the mountains and tire chains are needed when it does snow.
As far as going up the coast, get over to US 101 through Vallejo on CA 37 or CA 12through Napa. The southern routes put you in traffic around the bay. The northern ones put you on narrow 2 lane roads.
Avenue of the Giants is what you want to drive on north of Redway. It takes you up to just south of Fortuna and back on the 101. The town of Trinidad has a nice campground near the coast.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

Both Yeosemite and Sequoia are amazing, however if I could only pick one to see it would Yosemite hands down. Even just a couple days in the valley and you will be able to see some amazing things and if you have a couple more days to explore the options are endless.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodiguy View Post
I can't comment on Sequoia. Yosemite is 90 minutes from me. I know you need to reserve your spot ASAP. That campground fills up. If your doing this trip before summer, remember it's still snow season in the mountains and tire chains are needed when it does snow.
As far as going up the coast, get over to US 101 through Vallejo on CA 37 or CA 12through Napa. The southern routes put you in traffic around the bay. The northern ones put you on narrow 2 lane roads.
Avenue of the Giants is what you want to drive on north of Redway. It takes you up to just south of Fortuna and back on the 101. The town of Trinidad has a nice campground near the coast.

Great tips! Thanks Lodiguy!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Both Yeosemite and Sequoia are amazing, however if I could only pick one to see it would Yosemite hands down. Even just a couple days in the valley and you will be able to see some amazing things and if you have a couple more days to explore the options are endless.

Thanks Clubhouse!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

Yosemite - BOOK EARLY ... but if you can't get a spot there, that whole area is fantastic and lots of campgrounds (private and public) so you could easily make a day-trip in to Yosemite from places like Bass Lake. Also, the 49er Gold Rush Trail (Hwy 49) winds from Auburn (near Tahoe) to Oakhurst (slightly north of Fresno and very near to Bass Lake) ~ 3-5 days well-spent.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Yosemite - BOOK EARLY ... but if you can't get a spot there, that whole area is fantastic and lots of campgrounds (private and public) so you could easily make a day-trip in to Yosemite from places like Bass Lake. Also, the 49er Gold Rush Trail (Hwy 49) winds from Auburn (near Tahoe) to Oakhurst (slightly north of Fresno and very near to Bass Lake) ~ 3-5 days well-spent.

Thanks Hattie!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #8

Forgot to mention - the best place to enjoy the redwoods is the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt County, just across the state border from Oregon. However, there is also Muir Woods and the Big Basin area (near Santa Cruz). Lots of places to enjoy the redwoods.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #9

Yosemite for sure! I love Sequoia (and drive one! lol), but I'm in awe of Yosemite and have been since I first experienced it in the 70's. Have fun! What a great trip your family and you will have.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #10

Try to scoot over and see Crater Lake in Oregon, it is breathtakingly beautiful.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

I would love to do a trip like that. We have ventured into northern US from Vancouver Canada here a couple of times now. Oregon coast is gorgeous. One place you want to visit when you come north of the border is Whistler. Just over an hour north of Vancouver on the Sea to Sky highway. Probably one of the nicest drives I have ever been on. Lots to do there in the summer too with the mountain biking and trips up on the gondolas. Great atmosphere there too. Riverside RV resort is a 25 min walk to town and they also have a shuttle bus. Vancouver has lots to do too.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

Nice Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chent View Post
Hi All,

We're planning a 9 week return trip from Toronto to Vancouver to LA and back to TO. We are brand new TT owners and never done a trip like this. On the advice of all of you, we're trying to book early.

We will have our 2yo and 6mo boys with us so there won't be any extreme sports on this trip We'll be mostly biking, light hiking and beach time I expect.

Since we can't see it all I'm wondering which park you prefer when it comes to Yosemite and Sequoia. I'm dying to see those redwoods! We're doing Yellowstone on the way and the Oregon coast.

Can you also tell me which campgrounds you liked best?

TIA
TIA
We did a similar trip last spring/summer. Liked Yosemite over Sequoia if you miss out on securing an inside the park reservation then book one outside and drive in with your TV. If you can get someone to look after your young ones in Oregon then book an adventure in a dune buggy on the massive sand dunes on the coast.
I know you can't get everywhere but Vancouver Island is to die for with scenery etc.
We stayed at Fishing Bridge in the centre of Yellowstone as it had full hook-ups but the park is so huge you still will be doing a lot of driving every day but your boys will love the abundance of wild life.

Enjoy your adventure and drive safe.

Pam & Dave
TT 2011 Jay Flight RKS24 (sold)
TV 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 Litre Hemi 3.55 gears
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400is
jddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #13

I am incredibly bias but I would choose Yosemite over Sequoia any day. The geology of that place is just amazing. I have camped and hiked all over Yosemite since the 1950's and just love it. I almost joined the National Park Service just because of it! As others have said, though, you need to get reservations NOW. It even may be too late already. Enjoy in any event; and make sure you at least do a day trip or two to Yosemite!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #14

Hi guys:
Ok, Last summer (2014) did a Sequoia/Yosemite trip from Nevada. That being said It was my 2nd trip to both places stayed at different locations each time but these were truly the best:
If you're going to be coming up from Los Angeles, You'll hit Sequoia first. There are two ways to get in.

1 - Thru the south entrance fro the town of KernVille. A few Campground in Kernville, CA. About $40 - 45 or so USD per day with Town of Kern and amenities close by along with Lake Isabella.

The other is the west entrance to Sequoia and is only 3 miles from the west Sequoia entrance in the town of Three Rivers, Calif. It's a small town with just a small store for necessities and a couple of gas stations (one has diesel and both are expensive $5 at the time I went). But Sequoia RV ranch is peaceful and a small creek runs thru it. Lot's of trees and most sites have a concrete pad. Also has Internet service. As stated a few miles to the entrance. Redwoods are at top of mountains. A "Discovery Center", is there. Beautiful lake(s) surround the area.
Check out the URL's below:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sequoia-rv-ranch-three-rivers

To go to Yosemite from Three Rivers (Sequoia) is about a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive. I highly recommend http: Yosemite lakes RV Resort. They are the closet and run by Thousand-trails but they do except the public. They are the closest to the entrance to Yosemite (which will still take at least 1/2 hr) and have amenities for the kids and adults. They have internet if you park close to the Clubhouse. You better have Sat TV or DVD's. Check out the url below:
http://www.rvonthego.com/california/...v-resort/rates

The other is Yosemite Pines..... Dusty, minimal pads, and about 20 minutes further (you pass them as you go to Yosemite Lakes RV).

Anyway, that's my input. Hope it helps you decide. Have a safe and joyous trip.

S/
Rick

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote