Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
Site Team
I've always treated RVing (camping) as a hobby. In some respects, I consider it no different a hobby than those who enjoy collecting coins or folks who are fans of sports teams. While many hobbies can be actively persued year 'round, RVing is one that, for the majority of people, can't.

A coin collector purchases coins as an investment, with the hopes it will increase in value over time and, like RVing, the sports fan has a "season". But, when his team's not playing, he can always chat or find other activities with others that share his passion for the game, usually incurring little, if any, expense. Unfortunately, RVing falls into the "money pit" category. There is absolutely no monetary return on investment in this hobby except for the priceless experiences, memories and pleasure it provides.

It's hard to look out the window in January at your snow covered RV, just sitting there doing nothing while you're paying beaucoup bucks a month for its loan and upkeep. My TT's 13 years old now and has long since been paid off. Yet, it bothers me to shell out $600 a year, simply for the privilege of parking it at a storage lot because I can't keep it at my home.

To be in the hobby of RVing, one has to accept the fact that it can be expensive and you'll never recover all the money You've put into it. Surprisingly, though, you will always make a profit. But, it's in an intangible form that might not appear for some indefinite length of time. You'll realize it when one day someone says to you something like "Gee, remember the time we went camping and...We had such a great time".

If your heart is still in the hobby (I think it is, being you're indecisive), yet feel the expense might be overwhelming, Why not move to something more economical? I was in my middle 30's when I bought the first RV- a Coleman Laramie pop-up. We camped in it for 14 years before moving up to a TT. By that time, my sons were adults so the TT was just for me and the Mrs. We didn't even have A/C in the pop-up, much less a bathroom. But, I believe I had just as much camping in that pop-up (if not more) as the folks in their class A motorhomes.

One final thought: Remember, the camping part is the same, no matter whether it's in a tent or something more substantial.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #32
Your Input Requested...Do I or Don't I?

When reading your post, I was thinking that if I had these doubts in my mind, I would also find it difficult to substantiate the cost of financing RV and TV. On the contrary, my heart beat goes up and I get excited whenever I smell a campfire. Been that way since I was a kid and we didn't ever go camping as kids. We bought our first tent in our mid 30's and another then my partner could not stand sleeping on the ground anymore. Bummer. I wanted a pop up but she didn't. We waited years and I dreamed about owning an RV all that time.
Every time we go out, I feel so great! I don't know how to explain it.
We live on a one acre lot, in a beautiful 2000 sqf home with a screened in porch but I yearn to go rv'ing.
Also, when traveling in hotels, I was always in a big hurry to get out of there and do things and a dew days into the trip, finding myself ready to go back home to our three dogs.
Now, camping, we have never been a a hurry to go anywhere, relax, just take it easy. No rush to go home.
We have to go back home tomorrow and we are just not ready to leave yet but we are not yet retired and need to go back to work. We'll be back camping the end of August for another 3 weeks
If you are feeling 'mehhhh then maybe your don't have the bug.
Kinda like asking, what's it like to be in love?
how do you know you love her?

2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #33
My wife and I actually go through a similar thought process every year. My trailer is parked so we don't tow, but we are up there every weekend during the summer (we only live 1/2 hour away). But, as late September approaches I am ready to close it and be done with it for the year. Then comes spring, and we can't wait to get out there again! So, I think it's just a phase that RV owners go through. I do it every year!!
SJBerube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #34
Its no different with snowmobiling. Its an expensive hobby and there may even be seasons, like last year, that you don't get to ride at all. At least in my home area. But sell them? Never. When I do get to go riding I remember why I have them !! Now with the TT its different. We have 3 seasons to camp so we will always get use out of it.
2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2007 TBSS
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #35
Try taking out just the little guy one time if that is possible, it seems like if the older ones aren't interested and may frustrate you to not want to go.
2010 Jayco Eagle Superlite 256 RKS
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
JOF Mascot
Keep it and camp more!
nambarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #37
Sounds like, to me, that the decision must be made by you and your family. Just like when you are ready to marry, you listen to all the other opinions and then do what you want to do.
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #38
Some good advice on parking it on a seasonal site. You'll get your moneys worth. Don't go too far from home, you'll use it a lot more, probably every weekend you don't have to be home. No tow vehicle necessary and less maintenance on the trailer since it's not bouncing up and down the road every other weekend. It's our first year seasonal and we couldn't be happier. Made the most sense at this point in our lives.
30 nights so far this year and counting
2013 Keystone Hideout 210LHS
Renewed our seasonal site :Beerchug:
Waiting on Spring to arrive :crazy:
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #39
We have been camping for over 40 years. Twenty in a 10 x 12 Coleman cabin tent and 12 x 12 screenhouse. Then 20 years of no camping. Tent camping too much trouble at age 50, also bugs ate us up at Hunting Island SC. Wife was Music Director of 5000 member church, so for the next 20 years we were traveling to Europe with our adult choir and in the States with our children and handbell choirs. Lots of music conferences in the summer. Have owned a boat and motorcycles. We have been on several cruises and have a timeshare (which is a big waste of money) We had season tickets to Carolina Football for many years and went to some away games as well. Now at 70, with both of us retired, we are back to camping, at a much more luxurious level. As FPM III said, you can view these things as hobbies, which may come and go over time. With our investment (oops, investment is not an appropiate word for depreciating assets) in a nice TT and a good TV, I figure it has cost about $1000 per night so far. As we continue to camp the cost per night will come down.

Bottom Line: if your can afford it and enjoy it, why not keep on doing it?

2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre DoubleCab
6 speed, 4.30 Limited Slip, Tow Package
2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote