Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Zion National Park

We are planning a summer vacation from Omaha, NE to Zion National Park Utah. Looking for tips and advice on routes and travel thru the Rockies. We plan to stop for a few days in Colorado and then on to Utah. I have not pulled our travel trailer through mountains so any and all advice is welcomed. We plan to stop in Colorado Springs and use the family camp at the Air Force Academy and looking at sites in either Hurricane, Utah or Virgin, Utah as our base. For Zion, Brice Canyon and maybe the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Tips on driving in the higher elevations, Eisenhower tunnel, routes, i.e I-70, etc.
thanks in advance for your comments, this is a great forum.
ZooSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

What are planning on seeing in Colorado? If Pikes Peak is on your list than Col Springs makes sense. If you do that I would take 50 across Col, much prettier ride than going back north to I 70. In Utah your driving past all the things you want to see to get to Hurricane. I would stay on the East side of Zion, perhaps closer to Bryce. Much more to see up there. Bryce, Capital Reef etc. From Panguitch you can take day trips east or south. I have been all over Colorado, Utah etc pulling TT both with trucks and MotorCycles. No issue on any of the well traveled roads. May want to see Estes Park in northern Colorado also. Could also go from Col Springs to Durango and 4 corners, than come across N Az to the north rim and the east side of Zion. Less miles and more interesting scenery. I would make reservations if your going from Mid June through Mid Aug it gets very very busy at that time of year. Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
What are planning on seeing in Colorado? If Pikes Peak is on your list than Col Springs makes sense. If you do that I would take 50 across Col, much prettier ride than going back north to I 70. In Utah your driving past all the things you want to see to get to Hurricane. I would stay on the East side of Zion, perhaps closer to Bryce. Much more to see up there. Bryce, Capital Reef etc. From Panguitch you can take day trips east or south. I have been all over Colorado, Utah etc pulling TT both with trucks and MotorCycles. No issue on any of the well traveled roads. May want to see Estes Park in northern Colorado also. Could also go from Col Springs to Durango and 4 corners, than come across N Az to the north rim and the east side of Zion. Less miles and more interesting scenery. I would make reservations if your going from Mid June through Mid Aug it gets very very busy at that time of year. Good Luck.
Thanks wags999. Yes to Pikes Peak. My wife and I are both retired Air Force so a visit to the Academy is a must do as well. We plan on making the reservations tomorrow for an early July departure and plan to be out for about two weeks. Thanks so much for the travel advice. I see you drive aTundra as well. Wish I had bigger gas tank but really enjoy the truck.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

We crossed the Rockies twice last summer, once heading west out of Denver, and once heading east out of Durango. We had no problem going up any of the mountains, just took it slow and easy, we had plenty of power. I paid close attention to the transmission temps and adjusted my driving if needed. I had more problems with small, steep two lane roads heating the tranny. Going down was another challenge. I had one truck brake smoking moment coming down the west side out of Denver and had to adjust the trailer brake controller to keep things in check. It's harder to stop a 8000 lb trailer going down a mountain than you think.
We went up to the top of Pikes Peak. We took the cog railway up and went down by riding mountain bikes on a ride organized by a tour company. Pretty cool for a flat mid-western guy.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooSax View Post
Thanks wags999. Yes to Pikes Peak. My wife and I are both retired Air Force so a visit to the Academy is a must do as well. We plan on making the reservations tomorrow for an early July departure and plan to be out for about two weeks. Thanks so much for the travel advice. I see you drive aTundra as well. Wish I had bigger gas tank but really enjoy the truck.
I think my tank is 24 or 25 gallons...I'm usually ready to stretch my legs by the time I get low anyway...LOL There are a number of things to see in the Pikes Peak area. And off 50 is Royal Gorge, which, even tho it partially burned in a forest fire a couple years ago is still interesting to visit. You can head Sw to 160 towards Durango. While there take in Silverton and Ouray. You can take the Silverton Durango steam Railroad to Silverton. Also worth the time is the Bar D dinner show in Durango. Then head to 4 corners (hokey but a must do once ) then down to Tuba City and then onto the North Rim. Then Zion, Bryce, Capital reef etc and back to I 70 for your return trip home. I have driven it all a number of times towing with no issues. Thanks for your service and have a great trip.

We may pass you, were looking at possibly working at Adventure land Park in Altoona, Iowa for the summer!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Thanks for your service as well. Let me know if you will be at Adventureland this summer. That is an annual visit for us with the grandkids. Safe travels
Old 01-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #7

Some pretty darn good advice above. A half hour south of the Springs is Pueblo and US 50 west through Canon City to Salida. Then you can go south on US 285 out of Salida (Poncha Springs technically) and over Wolf Creek Pass on 160 to Pagosa Springs. Four Corners was recommended and I'd second that. You'll see a Colorado that is different from the Colorado up on I-70. I like to avoid that area, but there is an absolutely beautiful stretch of I-70 eastbound awaiting your return trip.

If you get bored with interstates and don't mind secondary highways, here's an alternative route from Omaha to Colorado Springs. I'm originally from Omaha, and we would visit my father there until he passed recently. I-80 is a yawner, so, returning, we'd cut south on Rt. 183 near Kearney and drive through Alma, into Kansas, heading towards I-70. We liked to drive to Norton, then down to I-70 at Oakley. We'd take US 40 west to Kit Carson, CO, and get on 94 into Colorado Springs (by Peterson AFB).

This is all from memory, so I apoligize if I've got some of the highway numbers screwed up. But you'll want to map out your own route anyway. Just some ideas.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Some pretty darn good advice above. A half hour south of the Springs is Pueblo and US 50 west through Canon City to Salida. Then you can go south on US 285 out of Salida (Poncha Springs technically) and over Wolf Creek Pass on 160 to Pagosa Springs. Four Corners was recommended and I'd second that. You'll see a Colorado that is different from the Colorado up on I-70. I like to avoid that area, but there is an absolutely beautiful stretch of I-70 eastbound awaiting your return trip.

If you get bored with interstates and don't mind secondary highways, here's an alternative route from Omaha to Colorado Springs. I'm originally from Omaha, and we would visit my father there until he passed recently. I-80 is a yawner, so, returning, we'd cut south on Rt. 183 near Kearney and drive through Alma, into Kansas, heading towards I-70. We liked to drive to Norton, then down to I-70 at Oakley. We'd take US 40 west to Kit Carson, CO, and get on 94 into Colorado Springs (by Peterson AFB).

This is all from memory, so I apoligize if I've got some of the highway numbers screwed up. But you'll want to map out your own route anyway. Just some ideas.
Most of your route is how we plan on going to Des Moines (if that is where we wind up). As your heading west on I 70 you can take it to Limon and head SW on 24, it takes you right into the Springs. I agree on I 80.. a few years ago we were on a Motorcycle trip. We have a daughter in Elizabeth Co, and left from there going to Illinois. We took 36 across Kansas... besides being hot and windy it was a nice ride. Good roads and interesting little cities every 20 - 25 miles. And LOTS of Corn ! LOL