Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Question 1995 1207 Jayco Deluxe

I just bought this pop up camper and it didn't come with a battery. I'm pretty clueless; I would like some advice on what type of 12 volt battery to buy and where to install it. Should it be mounted up front near the propane tank, or put in the back outside compartment where the converter box is? Also, do both the furnace and stovetop require a 12v battery to run? The furnace turns on but no heat comes out when I am plugged into electricity.
kwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

The battery goes where the heavy wires are.

You'll need a battery box and a deep-cycle battery if you expect to camp where there is no electricity.

Generally, stoves don't need electrical power. But you will need to purge the gas line once you've hooked up the propane and checked the whole gas system for leaks.

The water heater (if equipped) and the furnace might need 12V to operate or they may be purely mechanical with a standing pilot. Open the cover and read the instructions inside the unit(s).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

More importantly, you'll have to get less clueless on all the ins-and-outs of an RV.

I bought a used (1983 vintage) travel trailer back in 2009. No manuals. It took over a year to really figure out how everything tied together.

You've got 3 electrical systems, a water system, the mechanicals for the roof and all that canvas.

Spend several outings at Camp Driveway to get comfortable with your new toy. And then read and re-read postings here and other places until you become familiar with how the machine works.

Then go out and have fun!

And proud of it!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

My '93 1208 did not come with a battery or mounting tray. I bought a battery box and hauled inside the trailer and hooked it up when I got to the camp ground. I just rested it on the tongue while camping.

First thing you do before even disconnecting the trailer at the CG is to turn on the gas. When you are done setting up, light one burner on the stove. That will ensure that gas is going through the system. Then your furnace should work. It should not require a pilot light.

The furnace runs on 12 volt. It runs without the battery because the converter handles the 12 volt for you when plugged into shore power.

Does the furnace fan run constant, or does it turn off after a couple of minutes? It should run for a minute and then you'll hear a low end "whoosh" when the burner fires up. If it's not getting gas or if there is a problem with the burner the fan will shut off after about 2 minutes.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #5

go to the following link and you can download a 1995 Jayco owners manual

www.cunninghamcampers.com/download--jayco-owner-manuals
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #6

The fan keeps running and doesn't shut off, so I don't think it's getting gas. That and the stovetop doesn't light. I have some of the owners manuals but figured it might be faster to ask those who have experience. Maybe I'll stop by an RV repair shop or dealer and ask for a little demo. Thanks for your help!
kwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwestman View Post
The fan keeps running and doesn't shut off, so I don't think it's getting gas. That and the stovetop doesn't light. I have some of the owners manuals but figured it might be faster to ask those who have experience. Maybe I'll stop by an RV repair shop or dealer and ask for a little demo. Thanks for your help!
Double-check that there is liquid in your propane tank. If not, get it refilled.

With the tank on, and a lit match or BBQ lighter near the burner, turn on that burner on the stove. Several seconds (up to 30) of non-flammable stale gas or air will be purged from the line. You should hear the gas. Once it ignites, let it settle into a steady flame as the rest of the air is purged.

After you have that done, then move to testing the furnace, fridge and other gas appliances. Additional purging will be needed at each appliance.

And proud of it!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

If the stove top doesn't light, you have an issue with the gas lines.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #9

1st Is there propane in the tank?
2nd is the tank valve open?
3rd can you hear or smell propane with the stove valve turned on?
If yes try lighting with a long propane match if you don't hear the hiss and smell propane the regulator needs checked.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #10

I second the notion of being patient when lighting gas fixtures, it takes longer for the gas to work it's way through the lines than you'd think, especially if it's been sitting for a while. I was ready to pull my hair out trying to light the water heater on mine, but holding the pilot button down for about 2 minutes finally did the trick.

If you're still not getting gas flow and you know the tank is full, the regulator may have gone bad.

And don't worry about not knowing anything, we all started there. Plus, I've learned that regular RV 'experts' may not be much help with PUPS, lots of things are different.
maddoxdave is offline   Reply With Quote