Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

2006 Select 12HW

Hello,
I am currently considering purchasing a 2006 Select 12HW from a private party. This will be our first pop up trailer and I wanted to ask a couple questions. I appreciate any assistance.

The trailer I'm considering has been stored outside since at least 2008, but has been used very little. I did a very thorough inspection today and have some concerns. When the current owner owner opened the trailer, there was a fair amount of condensation on the ceiling. He said that it was the first time opening it in 2 years. Additionally, the linoleum had separated from the floor in a 1x2 foot area directly under where the pullout for the table slides in and out. He said that this had been present since purchasing it in 2008. The structure of the floor felt very solid underneath the bubble in the linoleum and I could find no other signs of potential water damage from inside, outside, or underneath. There has been a significant amount of rain the last month here in the Seattle area. Finally, the tent had about a total of 2 Sq feet of mild mildew on one side.

Otherwise, the trailer is in fantastic condition and shows almost no signs of use on the interior. I asked him to run the sprinkler on it for about 10 min and found that the tent had a small seeping problem on the same side as the mildew on the tent. He is asking $6000 for the trailer, which seems like a good deal compared to the other similar trailers that I have seen.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these issues on similar models? I'd appreciate any suggestions on fixing the seeping in the vinyl canvas. I was considering offering a lower price and purchasing a new canvas for it, which would put my total cost somewhere around $6700.

I'd appreciate any help or insights that you can provide. Thanks!

Ben
Jaybens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 AM   #2

Because you are buying from a private party you can make sale provisions a dealer probably wouldn't make. You know you at least have a small problem. I would want to be fair, but I wouldn't want to get taken either. Can you get it inspected by an RV repair pro at the buyer's expense?

If you found a leak after 10 minutes under a sprinkler, and the camper has been stored outside for the last 6 years, it probably has taken on a lot of water. Typically, the leak is easy and inexpensive to fix. The damage it causes can be expensive. Anything can be fixed. Obviously, if you can do the work it will cost less.

The tires might be old by date even if they are not worn. I would have the battery tested at an auto parts store. I understand you are buying a used trailer and you can't expect show-room conditions, but all those "things" become your expense after you buy it. Towing it to see how it handles is good idea as well.

In addition to an inspection, I would ask the buyer if I could take it camping for a few days.

Good luck.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into a local dealer and discuss the expense of an inspection with the seller. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'll continue to listen. Thanks again OnTheGo!
Jaybens is offline   Reply With Quote