Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

2008 M-1207 *Hole in Roof* Where do I go to fix it?

This is my first post, we recently purchased our popup from a consignment dealer and he indicated that a hole on the roof had been patched. When I got there I saw how it was patched (with caulk) and it made me a little worried for long term use.

The hole is maybe the size of a quarter. I plan on winterizing it soon and wanted to make sure I take care of everything all at once if possible.

Can I take this to General RV or a similar dealer and they will be able to fix it?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
20150903_074852.jpg   20150903_074857.jpg   20150903_074903.jpg  
gvsujulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Team

I would put a piece of Eternabond tape over it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #3

X2 what norty1 said
Old 09-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

X3 on the eternabond!!! Trim off any caulk that is above the roof line.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #5

The hole doesn't look like a structural issue to me. I agree with the Eternabond tape for sealing. It will do the job.

It will also be an obvious repair. That doesn't matter to me on a roof or high up where it can't be seen. The area under discussion is kinda right in your face. I can see where a visible repair might not sit well with some people.

The damaged area being right on a curve doesn't make camouflaging the repair easier.

Mostly thinking out loud.

PVC plastic becomes very pliable when heated. I was thinking that a PVC electrical cover could be heated in a toaster oven to be formed to fit the curve. The cover could then be glued over the patch to help hide the sealant or Eternabond tape. It might then look more like just an access cover.

I looked for PVC strip stock to use in a similar manner, but it is pretty expensive.

A fairly inexpensive easy camouflage method...

Cut equal strips of anti-slip tape or reflective tape. Place one to hide the repair. Place the other in the the same place on the other side to maintain symmetry. Not perfect, but to the casual observer it may look like the matching stripes belong there.

The strips can be as long or short as the installer likes.

Home Depot carries the tape. I believe that other suppliers offer even more colors.

Non-Slip Tread Tape - Duct Tape, Glues & Epoxy - Â*The Home Depot

Perhaps just two matching strips of Eternabond tape would even work to help make it look more like the patch belongs there.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

The repair looks like it was done with some silicone caulk . I would first remove and clean it up as not to many things like to adhere to silicon. Then I would get a tube of dicor caulk which will seal much better, then place some eternabond over it . It should last a long time. Make sure that you overlap the hole a bit so that it makes a strong seal
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, repair, roof