Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

2017 Jayco Sport 12 UD soon to be question

HI,
after long time researching in which pop up to buy we finally decided on Jayco Sport 12 UD over River forest 2280 BHESP (which actually look cool in its version, has all the whistles and bells), somehow simple version of Jayco won because of warranty jayco offeres. Pop Up users on (popupportal I post there) compared quality of jayco a bit better than river forest. The only thing is we decided on brand new over used one, pop up users usually advised used one. So, if everything goes well (as it sounds it does) I will be happy to be here.

We choose to not take:
no power lift (dealer told us many people come to fix it)
no heated bed option
no Baja option (even though I like it)
no porta potty ( we didn't planned)
Out the door price is 9k

What's your experience with this type of version? Are you happy you are the first owner of your pop up?
love2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF, we hope you stick around and ask lots of questions.

Yes, Jayco has a great warranty, but that depends a little bit on how good your dealer is as well. Jayco stands behind their product, but many dealers do so much volume that warranty repairs can take a long while. But if you are a new owner, having the backing of the dealer and their experienced techs can be a good thing to have.

I don't really regret buying our first trailer new, but now I understand why used can sometimes be better. A trailer has a lot of different systems; it is a little house on wheels. Often there are initial build issues with a one or more systems that take some time to work out through your dealer. These trailers are built a bit more like houses than like automobiles - the assembly line is NOT a precision line.

So my advice with a brand new trailer is to go in with an expectation that there may be a more than a couple of visits to dealer in the first couple of years, and that those visits may take some time to get things resolved. Just be comfortable that everything will be taken care of, and once everything gets dialled in, you'll be camping regularly.

I never returned to my dealer after the first couple of years; by then the number of issues dropped dramatically, and what did come up I was comfortable taking care of myself. Now that we are comfortable with all the systems on a trailer, we were very comfortable buying our second unit used and diving right into doing all the maintenance ourselves. The first owner did a great job of taking care of any initial quality issues and maintained it well, so our used experience has been great.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #3

My wife and I bought a brand-new forest river 10' pop up in 2014. I know that's a little smaller than the one you want, but we had all the standard options as well as power lift and heated beds... we paid 5600 out the door. Don't get me wrong, we love the Jayco fifth wheel we have now, but forest river is actually known for pretty good quality on their pop ups. We had literally zero problems in the 3 years we had it. We shopped the Jayco's, but the price was significantly higher and we found very little that the Jayco offered over the forest river .

Good luck in the search and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you buy… We made a ton of great memories on trips in our pop ups .

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

Thanks I've got your point. Since it's middle of the winter, we are not hurry to purchase but closer of what we want. We didn't make final decision yet.
love2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

One thing to consider when buying a new pop up is depreciation. So many of us started out with pop ups and eventually for one reason or another decide to upgrade to something bigger. I think there would be less depreciation with used rather than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote