Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

a few questions

I posted these questions after my long post about our first weekend. I suppose most saw the long post and said "nope" so they didn't see the questions at the end. Any help with these is appreciated.

1) the water faucets are backward. that's not a big deal as they are not labeled, but the outdoor shower is labeled. Is this an easy switch or do we just live with it?

2) I can't seem to get the water flowing properly. There is a valve near the hot water tank. If this is one way, then the hot water (wrong side) flows but the cold water trickles and stops completely. If the valve is the other way, then both knobs provide cold water and no hot at all. What am i missing? If I don't figure it out before the next trip, i'll take some pictures when we go.

3) The toilet is a basic cassette. there is not a water hookup for it. To flush we just use the shower head and open the flush valve. Am I supposed to put water in the cassette or just the no-stinky chemical? I read the manual but it's confusing.

4) Last one: The shower curtain attaches with little snaps. We noticed the snaps have torn away from the curtain, I don't recall this happening so it may have been like that when we got it. Do you think the dealer would give us a new shower curtain since we've only used the camper once? We didn't use the shower.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #2

I will assume you bought this new.. take it back to the dealer and have then change over the taps.. (not really a hard job but let them do it)
Sounds like the hot water heater is in winterize mode when you take it back for the taps have them show you where and how to change it (should have been part of the walk through)
Also have them show you how the toilet operates (again should have been part of the walk through)
They may replace the shower curtain.. not a big cost anyway...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #3

Are the snaps for the shower curtain to hold it closed while the shower is in use?

I ask because I saw a thread here where someone had done some upgrades to their camper. One of them was installing this track to the side walls. The track was picked up a Home Depot and I think it is intended to hold the LED rope light so look around the section where they sell this. Then he used a foam material which I think is like stuff I have used in insulating around windows when doing a replacement. It goes between the window and the rough opening. I know the foam is about the same size as LED rope light. Then you pull the curtain across the track and stuff the foam in the track pinching the curtain which makes a better seat than the snaps which if they are what I think they are will likely just break again.

I believe in upgrading poorly designed parts rather than replacing it with the same poorly designed solution. Maybe I am wrong in what you are trying to do but it is a thought.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

As @Seann45 says, the dealer should help you out with all of this if it is a new unit.

Swapping water lines is really quite easy, depending on how your sink is mounted. If you have a "flop over" counter, the fittings are easily accessible with the counter flipped. Unscrew and swap the two flex hoses at the tap fitting. It's a bit harder to access with "cantilever forward" counter.

If this is a brand new unit, you probably have TWO three way valves at the hot water tank; one on the input and one on the output side. Both need to be turned 90 degrees (handle points in the direction of water flow to/from the tank). If you lose hot water completely, you are probably only turning one handle. Note if this is an older model, you will have 3 valves, in which case you are probably only turning the valve on the bypass line between the hot and cold feeds. You need to turn all 3 valves 90 degrees to get hot water flow.

BTW - do not turn on your HW tank until you are sure that it is filled with water. You can burn out the element if the tank is empty.

Can't help with cassette toilet, my pup didn't have one.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #5

Another thing to spot check on the water is your outdoor shower. I have read that there is a flow shutoff on the shower head. If you have the faucets on but the flow shut off on the head the water can flow between the hot and cold side causing strange things in terms of temp of water you are getting. Just double check that they are off. I just got our camper so I really don't know for sure if it has a shutoff as I have never had water in ours.