Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

Anyone else own the 2017 Jay Sport models?

I'm asking because everyone I know who owns one has sink issues, mainly in the area of slow drainage (really slow / not draining slow).

I got mine in mid June, I know another who ordered theirs in April and got theirs in Early June and we have a completely different sink than the ones I'm seeing show up on lots now. So I think ours are more first revision these ones i'm seeing are second revision.

Our best guesses usually ended up with on the drainage issue being the sink tube is pretty long with the way ours folds, maybe this was their fix?

The longer / sleeker design is me. The two separate Stove / Sink is the one I'm currently seeing on the lots.

I was just curious on thoughts if there are any new owners around here.

Dudman5703

PS: For Clarity, mine folds sink and stove all the way across the dinette. The other: the stove folds over the dinette, sink folds to the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
20160709_115739.jpg   dont_copy.jpg   dont_copy (1).jpg   20160904_154123.jpg  
dudman5703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Wow, lots of changes over the years. Our '08 was a similar setup, full unit flip to the side, but completely different underneath. The drain was "nipple" that mated into a receptacle on the cabinet top when closed with a gasket. We also had a water filter under there, and both hot and cold water. But anyway, I wanted to ask where this eventually drains to? Is it still to an outlet on the outside camper wall directly behind the sink?

Ours generally drained great, except when the end of hose I used to drain into a large jug got submerged in the waste water. The end of that hose always had to have air, or it would slow to a crawl. Pull it up a bit in the waste tank, and it would drain like a champ. I eventually fashioned a bracket to hold the hose up near the rim of the jug. Could it be something like this? There needs to be air at both ends of the run to let the water drain properly. The design has changed, but the physics haven't.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Haha, yeah and this change is from 2017 to 2017 (still not even 2017)... Good grief

It no longer drains out of the side like others I've seen / like my old one did. It actually has a hose screw type drain through the floor.

I've tried several PVC setups that have air like you're talking... Didn't fix / change anything. That might be because I had to try several different ways to make this fixture, since it has to navigate around the frame of the camper and a stabilizer which is completely in the way. So maybe I never got this part right. I was just more curious why the design changed, I personally like the look of mine better I just thought it was a weird move they switched sink designs months apart on a brand new camper.

Lifting it up does help though, and if the sink is full enough when you pull the plug it all drains nicely.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudman5703 View Post
Lifting it up does help though, and if the sink is full enough when you pull the plug it all drains nicely.
Okay, so this would say too much back pressure from the length of hose underneath. Looking at the photo, you could probably modify it to be quite a bit shorter by removing the clips that hold the hose and cutting it short enough to reach the drain at about the angle you show it propped at. Then you would have to unscrew it at each breakdown (a pain for sure).

You could also try replacing that hose with a heavier 3/4" garden hose. The wider cross section might allow for better flow.

Last idea is to locate the parts for the system used on the older campers like I mentioned above. You would need to dutchman in part of the hole for the receptacle, but then you would only need a couple of feet of hose down to the floor. I am pretty sure that I found the parts at popupparts.com the last time I looked.

I am a little disturbed by this overall design change going through the floor as it seems to encourage campers to just let their grey water go to ground, which is only okay in some jurisdictions and probably isn't recommended anywhere in bear country. At least with the outlet on the side, it made you think twice.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #5

Oh, and I just saw your post count. Didn't realise that was your first post! Welcome to JOF!! I am probably demonstrating that most of us here are full of ideas and advice, some good, some not so much (mostly good!)

If you are new to RV'ing in general, or Jayco in particular, you will find that the industry trend is towards change, and generally for the cheaper (or more profitable) over for the better. Since most of the folks here love to DIY, we tend to take it as a challenge to fix the things that the manufacturer gets wrong. I would buy a used unit from many of the members here knowing that it is probably twice as good now as when it rolled off the line new in Indiana!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudman5703 View Post
Haha, yeah and this change is from 2017 to 2017 (still not even 2017)... Good grief
I should also mention that there is one big benefit of moving back to the side swing. I noticed on the 16's that they had swing forward galleys; not sure what year they made that change. I always preferred the side swing as you could access the fridge with top down to load it up before travelling. With galley sitting in front, that option was gone, along with a big chunk of cargo space. So in that sense, it is a move in the right direction.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
you could probably modify it to be quite a bit shorter by removing the clips that hold the hose and cutting it short enough to reach the drain at about the angle you show it propped at. Then you would have to unscrew it at each breakdown (a pain for sure).
Wow, thanks. I've honestly thought about it. I think I noted before that I will be doing everything post warranty. So I'm putting thought into it - I own this with SO so, trying to have accountability by my side... Less willy nilly like my last one.. I am a little disturbed by this overall design change going through the floor as it seems to encourage campers to just let their grey water go to ground, which is only okay in some jurisdictions and probably isn't recommended anywhere in bear country. At least with the outlet on the side, it made you think twice.
You could also try replacing that hose with a heavier 3/4" garden hose. The wider cross section might allow for better flow.

Not sure what this means - I'll be excited to learn more about it though. I'll see if I can't dig that up on my own... My last camper was pump and if you had water that was awesome!

Quote:
Oh, and I just saw your post count. Didn't realise that was your first post! Welcome to JOF!! I am probably demonstrating that most of us here are full of ideas and advice, some good, some not so much (mostly good!)

If you are new to RV'ing in general, or Jayco in particular, you will find that the industry trend is towards change, and generally for the cheaper (or more profitable) over for the better. Since most of the folks here love to DIY, we tend to take it as a challenge to fix the things that the manufacturer gets wrong. I would buy a used unit from many of the members here knowing that it is probably twice as good now as when it rolled off the line new in Indiana!
I really understand that and thank you! I've been on other PUP portals before (not sure if im allowed to elaborate) I still own an '86 that is heavily modified after a tree fell on it etc etc. I was lucky enough to decide that new would benefit us (comfort and friends). I just really though it was weird from June to now December that the whole sink design went a 180*, I'd even like to know if it helped or it was a "oh, we overlooked X" thing.

Quote:
I should also mention that there is one big benefit of moving back to the side swing. I noticed on the 16's that they had swing forward galleys; not sure what year they made that change. I always preferred the side swing as you could access the fridge with top down to load it up before travelling. With galley sitting in front, that option was gone, along with a big chunk of cargo space. So in that sense, it is a move in the right direction.
If you look right in all the photos the fridge is always accessible, which is why im guessing the made the stove side swing the sink dunk. Though - I get you. It wasn't my choice but the SO to have something like that. I own a jeep and with her things its TIGHTLY packed as it is!

Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Hey dudman , .... did you ever get the sink drain on yours Jay-Sport sink draining ? I just got a 2017 8SD and having the same problem .
K&D-8SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&D-8SD View Post
Hey dudman , .... did you ever get the sink drain on yours Jay-Sport sink draining ? I just got a 2017 8SD and having the same problem .
I had to phone my dad about this.. He and his new wife Diane purchased one this year (Ken and Diane) if this was him. No, we have not found a solution, it seems very common among popups and since it only takes a simple lift of the sink I've never bothered to take it in ( very busy dealership). Early Jayco popups still have this setup saying to do this or that, and it's an airflow problem. I'm thinking if I don't take it into the dealership (for a real problem) that I'll remove the P trap since we don't actually drain into gross smelly things....

Sorry - no real fix - but to me it's not a real problem.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #10

Good morning dudman. We have a new 10SD that we've only had out once and can't say we used the sink. I know it doesn't make sense, but with our 1989 (the one we replaced), we didn't use the sink so are in the habit of doing dishes outside in a tub. With the old unit there wasn't much floor space to do things inside as the dinette ran from the back of the unit towards the hitch.

I'll check it after picking up from the dealer. Ours is in for issues with the frame.
jmbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #11

Hi All,

I just recently purchased an 8SD and have the same sink issues. Water just pools in the sink and doesn't drain at all. I have the model that folds in two parts.

Is there a release valve underneath that I need to open to have it drain just a little?

I plan to take it back to the dealer in August to see if they can resolve the issue.
djyflau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #12

Anybody else having trouble connecting the stove inside and outside on 2017 Jay sport models?

The male goes in the female part but doesn't 'click' and seems very loose. A slight nudge and it will disconnect. I've attach pics of both ends.
Attached Thumbnails
20170722_165442.jpg   20170722_165426.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Did you push the outer collar back far enough to release the retention balls? Being new, you won't be able to just push the male side in, and have it seat. Just a thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #14

It worked! JFlightRisk thank you very much!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Site Team

Great! I love long distance fixes. Glad to be of help. It's what we all do here.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #16

Hey dudman, did you end up solving your slow drain problem? I've been researching on other forums and it seems like a recurring problem for popups in general. Most people solve it by adding an air vent. Just google 'sink vent popup camper'. I'll be adding one to my Jayco.

I just purchased my drain connector from amazon (Valterra T01-0091VP).
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #17

We did try to add a valve on mine, but I couldn't get it working very well. I'll have to look into what you posted - mines actually a little bent so maybe something like that would work.

I actually just broke our main bunk end... The wood is coming apart? So I'll have it in the shop in a few weeks to look at that, the spare tire carrier, and the sink I guess.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyflau View Post
Anybody else having trouble connecting the stove inside and outside on 2017 Jay sport models?

The male goes in the female part but doesn't 'click' and seems very loose. A slight nudge and it will disconnect. I've attach pics of both ends.
I've had to clean mine out several times for dirt / debris (even though I have the cover on). Which can make it very hard to get it to seat right.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #19

2017 Jay Sport 12sc

This is my first camper. Bought it new. There are things I like about it and then there are the things I hate about it. I've had mine for less than a year and the gremlins are starting to appear here and there. I don't like the dinette, the backs are not setup for people to rest against. Both of mine have had the screws pulled out of them. Then recently all the interior lights in the top didn't work. Spent hour or so chasing wires to just happen to jiggle the wire harness and all the lights came on. Haven't had a problem since with that. Now I take it out and get it setup at a camp ground and the frig won't work on AC. It will run on D.C.

I guess this is all part of camper ownership. Just frustrating at times.
Wolfhound6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #20

Congratulations on your first camper and welcome to the forum.

You've done well for you first camper! Most folks have tons of questions when they begin. It's nice Jayco has a 2yr warranty to help with the fridge and other gremlins.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote