Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Are Pop Ups soon to be on the exstinct list?

Heard from a few sources lateley that manufacturers will be going away from pop ups becuse people are not buying them anymore and it isn't that much more money to go with a larger hardside. Is this just rumor talk or any truth to it?
Mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

I haven’t heard that one, but we just bought our first trailer this May. We were told that many people who previously bought pop up trailers are now buying hybrids instead because the price is not that much more and hybrids are really easy to tow. I would have liked the X23B but the only place to store the trailer at our townhome is in the garage so we went with the 1206. We didn’t want to pay storage fees and have the extra security and easier access of having the trailer on site.

Our dealer said that used pop ups are holding their value better because there are less available than previously. Whether he was telling the truth or not, I cannot be sure, but the economics of what he said is sound. It seemed to be the case as gently used pop ups that were only a few years old were not that much cheaper than the new ones.

I imagine there will always be a market for a pop up because they are easier to tow and store and it is as close to tenting as you can get in a trailer. Whether manufacturers can turn a profit with the large overhead that goes with building them is another story. Time will tell, I guess.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

I'm glad I got my 1006 a few months ago. It is simple to tow, and it takes me 10 minutes exactly to set up. It is close to a tent but I have heat ac. I think Im gonna keep it for the long run.
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Lots of pop up trailers at the campground I was at the weekend. Saw lots of sold signs on them at the last rv show I was at so I don't think they are going anywhere soon.

They are the perfect upgrade for young families who are tired of tenting. They don't need a lot of space in the driveway, dont cost a lot and they are one of the few trailers you don't need more then a minivan or crossover to tow. If gas prices keep rising ( and they will as the economy recovers) I think their sales will rise rather then fall.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

It could be that they are not making as many because popups last so long. Much longer than a car or motor home. I agree when you go to national and state park campgrounds you see scads of popups--some 20+ years old--Starcrafts, Colemans and Jaycos. Now there are about 4 more manufacturers making them so there is competition among new popups and with the robust used market.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

I find that very doubtful. They sell. And for good reason. You don't need a huge vehicle to pull them. They are fairly inexpensive even new ones. They are great for the once Ina. Great while camping family. Have tons of sleeping space. Really they are like a gateway to larger camping. Like a gateway drug. Honestly I like my little camper. It's more than roomy. We had 4 kids and 2 adults in it for the better part of a day last weekend. Ad had plenty of room. Plus it forces everyone to be outside more, the way it should be camping.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

I sure hope not. In a popup you are still right in nature (almost). "Camping" in a hard side removes you from the outdoors. From there it's just a slippery slope to Airstreams, microwaves and satellite TV, and from there to a 60-foot motor palace with a mortgage. Why even leave home?
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #8

I've never heard that. If I go to an RV park that caters to travel trailers and big rigs, I see few pop-ups. But the state and county parks are loaded with them. I don't see pop-ups going away any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
We were told that many people who previously bought pop up trailers are now buying hybrids instead because the price is not that much more and hybrids are really easy to tow.
Whomever told you that was either a dealer or someone who probably towed their pop-up with a 3/4 ton truck then went to a hybrid. I've towed both. Big difference. Despite being light weight, towing a hybrid is towing a brick down the road. Hold up a 4x4 sheet of plywood and run into the wind and you'll know what your truck is fighting against when you tow a travel trailer. Because of the profile a pop-up has very little wind resistance. That is the only thing I miss about having a pop-up.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

DocBrown,

I agree with you. That is another reason why we didn't go with the X23B. While storage was a problem I was concerned that my Trailblazer would have too hard a time pulling it. I was within the towing capacity but on the high end. I would probably do fine if I stayed in the Midwest but we like to travel to the East Coast on vacations and the mountains with that combination might have spelled disaster. If we do decide to move up to a travel trailer I'm getting a bigger tow vehicle as well. What is your experience towing your X20E with your Trailblazer? I wonder if this would be a good option with 2 little kids if we decide to move up.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Scott, I sent you a PM. I didn't want to hijack the thread.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #11

Can't say I've ever heard anything about the extinction of PUP's myself. As some have pointed out already, there are always lots of sold signs on them every time I take in an RV show and sale. Their ease of towing and the fact that they are so close to the tenting experience, but better, is what keeps people buying. I just can't see the manufacturers bailing on selling them.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #12

In order to answer OP question one needs manufactiring and sales data. Acording to this document (rvda.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Retail_Statistics1&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7617) in 2011 travel traler sales reached 114000 untis, fith wheels reached 40000 untis while folding trailers barely made 10000. That is 1 folding trailer per 15 "hardsided" trailers. This is not a new trend, popup sales are flat while hardsided trailer sales are relentlessly going up.
allanbradl is offline   Reply With Quote