Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Bench Failure

While sitting on dinette bench, the bench totally failed. I'm 255 lbs. and was just sitting. Post failure analysis: 1. Seat deck back panel ledger failed causing the lid deck to drop, pulling hinges out and pulling end panel support ldge off the end panel. 2. Attachment staples (1") used to secure support ledges (:1" x 1" nominal) were insufficient to secure the ledges to the back and side panels since no glue was used and 3 staples on the back ledge and 2 on side ledge. 3. Hinges (1.5" x 1.5" w/ 1/4" screws) undersized.

Conclusion: Jayco designers don't have a clue about the structural qualities of wood in relation to sizes or attachment components and average adult weight factors. And basically they install bare minimum quality components.

Solutions: A) Return unit to dealership for warranty repairs when possible ( 2 weeks at best to g.et back into our house) and wonder if repairs will be any better than factory original. B), fix it properly myself.

Two things I do know. One, I won't be recommending Jayco to anybody. Two, I foresee a totally interior renovation of our 1206 in the very near future....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20141101_171143.jpg  

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

I hear your pain, Lifespallette. Luckily I caught the problem with mine before it totally collapsed. I opted to fix it myself, using short drywall screws to attach the horizontal ledge to the back board, and I also added a couple of vertical supports, like studs in a wall, between the floor and the ledge piece. It's been nice and sturdy since then.

As far as the dealer fix goes, they would likely repair it back to original condition. I'm sure you'd repair it better yourself, and with less hassle. Good luck.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post

Conclusion: Jayco designers don't have a clue about the structural qualities of wood in relation to sizes or attachment components and average adult weight factors. And basically they install bare minimum quality components.
Sorry to hear about your bench failure. I think Jayco engineers use an average adult weight of 150-170 lbs. I'm 226lbs and we just purchased a 24FBS. It has the ladder installed on the back and the manual states the weight limit is 350 lbs. I will not climb that ladder, the first time I did, it flexed beyond my comfort level. I would just fix it yourself and beef it up the way you want. The dealer is just going to put what was there back on. Good luck.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

Sad thing is Jaycos benches are WAY sturdier than some of the other brands I have been in. Half the other benches I have seen have particle board for the seat. Not sure I would base my purchase decision off of a bench that failed.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Been there; done that. ... agreeing with the others. Fix it yourself and you will know it's right.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Site Team

I would:

1. Fix it myself with upgraded materials to make it stronger and eliminate wait time and any added expenses of towing to dealer.
2. Not give up on Jayco so quickly. Unfortunately stories like this and much worse can be found on any RV forum.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is no different than buying in X store a manufactured prefab cabinet. When you are home and assemble it you have to finish the job where the mfg. left off. I am used to this in the last 40 years and why bother warranty, if you can do the fixing better yourself. Overall Jayco uses better material and construction methods than the competition. Prices would double if they are gluing everything. At least they screw a lot.....so you can do the unscrewing and fix. Stay cool and be happy!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I would:

1. Fix it myself with upgraded materials to make it stronger and eliminate wait time and any added expenses of towing to dealer.
2. Not give up on Jayco so quickly. Unfortunately stories like this and much worse can be found on any RV forum.
X2
Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #9

Will end up fixing myself for sure using 2x2's for the support ledges for now with a couple of vertical supports and a piano hinge. Had already been working on some sketches to replace the cheap looking wood cabinets with some planed mahogany... now I'll just plan on gutting it and going hog wild making it a true custom design......guess, my tiny house will drop a knotch on the bucket list.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #10

I'm 260# so before I have even taken my rig out, I reinforced everything that I will be sitting, sleeping and standing on. I realized a long time ago that things are not made for guys of my size. It's just a fact of life. I'm also 6' 3", so I've been bashing my noggin' on stuff all my life also....R.V.'s are NOT made for big guys, we just adapt I guess.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Roadwarrior you really must live more outdoors than in with your 6'3" The 185RD has a pretty low ceiling. I am 6'1" and shrinking...Ah well we bought an RV to be in the outdoors. Indoors is only optional for a rainy day and sleeping. At one time or another the grandkids slept inside and me outside.........mmm fresh air.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote