Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Budget canvas repair question

I have a '99 Jayco Eagle. The roof panel of the canvas tent at one end is badly weathered and the vinyl layer is starting to crack and split. I'm looking for an inexpensive, quick&easy temporary fix to patch the area until we can replace the whole canvas, or at least the roof panels. The rest of the canvas is in fairly good shape, aside from some small mildew and moisture stains.

I'm having trouble locating (with Google) patch kits in Canada, and want to make sure whatever I get will bond to the material. One product I have come across online is "Tear-Aid," which comes in two formulas for different fabrics. Am I correct in thinking that the canvas on my trailer is a fabric-backed vinyl, so I should get the "Type B" Tear-Aid?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a patch kit and where I can get one, either in store or online?

I also have one other question about the tent ends. We've had the trailer for three camping seasons, and were never able to get both corners of the tent completely around the edge of the beds, especially at one end. This past weekend I was finally able, by pulling, yanking, and tugging out every bit of slack I could, to get the canvas completely over both beds and velcro'd underneath all the way around. One end I could usually do until this year, the other end always had a corner exposed that I had to kludge around when it rained. The vinyl is under a good bit of tension now, enough that I worry about the seems. But the tent ends do look better from inside with the sides and roof pulled pretty tight. Question time: Is it normal for the canvas/vinyl to be under a lot of tension when properly set up?

I look forward to the replies, and thanks in advance for the help !
StrandedonEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 AM   #2

If you have any boat/canvas shops in your are they would be a good pace to check for canvas repair.

As for your bed ends. Look on the outside of the main box. In thee corners where the canvas attached to the box you should see a screw that secured the tent to the box One screw at each corner. Remove the screw but mark its location Then with the bed ends extended pull the canvas so that it will stretch to go over the bed end corner. Do one corner at a time. Then reinstall the screws. Hopefully this will help. At least it did on my previously owned PU.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

I have a 99 heritage laurel and replaced my canvas this year. The stitching had rotted out and it was pulling apart more on each trip. I found out jayco still has the complete canvas available and for half the price that bear creek and canvas replacements was charging. I was really happy with the result although I did have to call around to a couple dealers as the price varies between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote