Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

Crank It Up...

Okay. I have a question. How hard should it be to crank up my 2006 Jayco 1006 tent trailer? When I bought it last week the dealer had it already set up when I got there. We went through the walkthrough and then cranked it down. Never did crank it up there. When I got it home I opened it up to let it dry and it was pretty hard to crank up. Could it maybe need to be lubed? It seemed to go up nicely but just a bit tuff to crank. In fact, I don't think my wife would be able to crank it up. Thanks....
rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #2

That's a hard call without being the one to crank on it. That's kind of how I remember mine. You are raising a lot of weight (and straight up) for the size of the gear. My wife could have raised ours, but it was tough for her.

They do need lubrication, but not much. And the cables need to track through the pulleys correctly. That doesn't sound like the problem because you say "seemed to go up nicely". If you can, compare it to another one.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #3

You may want to try putting some silicone spray on the lift posts, be careful not to get it on the tent, I always placed a piece of cardboard between the lift post and the tent. Make sure to spray some down between the bushings at the top of each section and lightly wipe off the excess. I did this with ours about 2-3 times a year, it does make it much easier to crank up. Since it's used, this may never have been done.

I hope the cable was tightened up some after the roof was down and latched, if not it is possible a one of the cables slipped off a pulley, but as OnTheGo said it's really hard to say without being there.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

I think I would take it back to the dealer you got it from and let then do something with it - at least check it out for you... You certainly don't want that heavy thing falling down on top of you all when inside the trailer. My STARCRAFT has two safety metal pieces that slip in between the roof and the side wall after you setup to keep the top from falling down on top of you... Not sure what the JAYCO models do for safety...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the replys. I do plan on comparing it to another one since my sister got a brand new Palomino. She lives in San Francisco and stores out here in the valley and she's coming out next week. Hope hers ain't as tuff because I don't think she could do it. I'm also going to take it back. They ordered a piece weather stripping that was damaged so I guess I'll have them check it out when I'm there having it installed. I never really thought a safety catch of some sort, but when I'm there I'll be bringing that up as well. Roy, I see you're retired DOD. I've been with DOD for 32 years myself.
rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote