Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Dealer Delivery

OK, I'm new here, have had our 2017 12UD for less then 30 days, been out two times so far. I have been reading through the PUP forums for a few hours. I had pup about 35 years ago and it was about 10 or so years old when I purchased it. Things have changed.. a lot! (Did spend about 10 yrs boating on the Chesapeake bay, but that was more like having a motor home on the water.)
Now to my question. What was your delivery experience like? Not talking the closing and paper work, but how much time did they spend explaining how everything work?
Our Dealer ( Miles RV Center in Hendersonville NC) had a service person ( not a sales person) run through the entire set up and breakdown process as well as how to operate every mechanical system ( AC, water heater, furnace, water pump, water system winterization, battery charging, etc, etc, etc.. ) This whole process took about 2 hours, and was done in an indoor workshop. It was a hot day but the had large fans running so it was't bad. If they would not have done that I would have thought something was wrong with the roof lifting system with all the noise they make! They also recommended plugging in the "shore power" before raising the roof. We left the Dealer and headed directly up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to camp for the weekend. That time spent at delivery made for a pleasant weekend. What was your experience like?
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Usually that session at the dealer is called the 'PDI' (Pre-Delivery Inspection). From your description, your dealer is better than average.

The prevailing advice on this site is to have a printed list of the PDI items in hand before the PDI and be sure all of them are covered. Frequently on this site new owners have complaints on their first trip because certain items did not work or the new owner did not know how to use them.

For things that use a lot of 12v power, having the shore power plugged in makes sense. If shore power isn't available, then leaving the trailer plugged into the tow vehicle (and tow vehicle running) is a good idea to help save battery power.

Glad all was well with that first trip!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote