Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Dexter axle question (?)

Started the restoration/modification project on my 1989 Jayco 1006 by trying to remove the Dexter torsion axle to clean it up. When I jacked up the camper and removed the wheels, the torsion arm only dropped about 5 degrees from horizontal, and both sides dropped about the same. That makes it impossible to remove the rear mounting bolt since the bolt head is between the frame and torsion arm with almost no clearance. I talked to a technician at Dexter and she says it may have lost its pre-set due to age, and that the arm should drop well below the bolt when unloaded. This is my first experience with a torsion axle and it seemed to ride fine on the two hour trip when I towed it home. Anyone have any similar experiences with a torsion axle?
les45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #2

What did you do to fix this? I have the same problem, I have a 1991 Jayco 1006 deluxe and I cant get the torsion arm to clear the bolt so I cannot remove it. Looks like I need a new axle and was curious what the outcome was here?

Thanks!
trevorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

I bought a new Dexter Torflex replacement axle with a 32 degree down angle. That easily clears the rear bolts. On their chart, the 22 degree down angle looked like it might also interfere with the rear bolt. The larger down angle raises the trailer about 2". I had to use a Sawzall and cut the rear bolts. Luckily there was a gap between the mounting bracket and the trailer frame that allowed a long saw blade to reach the bolt easily. If you want more detail on how to order, you can email me at les45@atlanticbb.net. Dexter was super to deal with and very quick shipping.
Larry S.
les45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #4

I had a lot of sway if u need a good sway bar I recommend a hensly it eliminates all the sway and is guaranteed not to sway or your money back and it is made to your car or etc expensive yes but u can't put a price on life. The problem I have is my jayco is very low to the ground in the back and if I hit a bump it will drag. What can I do to raise the back end I have the proper hitch this helped but I still have the drag. Anyone know what I can do. I am taking a trip to Maine so from the west to the east coast. If anyone knows please let me know thanks
Lynnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #5

Lynnda,

Welcome!!!

The Hensley would be way overkill for a pop up camper. But it is a very good system!!!

In regards to your question about your tt, you will probably get more replies if you started your own thread, probably the travel trailer or towing section being the best choice.

Mods: Could you possibly move this thread please. TY!

Depending on what type of axles you have, you may be able to "flip" the axles. This means that if they have a leaf spring suspension, if the spring goes under the axle tube, you remount the axle tube so it is under the spring. You can gain a little bit of ground clearance that way.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

Welcome to the JOF.

Some trailers are very low. If the trailer is low at the rear, the first thing is to check if the front of the trailer is high. The trailer should be level or slightly nose down. If the trailer is level, maybe lowering the front a bit would make the difference.

Other things to consider: Is the trailer heavily loaded? Can some of the load be moved closer to the front of the trailer? Is the trailer suspension sagged due to age or damage causing the trailer to be lower than designed? Is there room for larger diameter rims and tires?

That's all I got. Hope something in there helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote