Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #1

Diagram for 1998 Eagle SO lift system?

So the authorized Jayco service department wants 3 weeks minimum to fix the two rear lifters in our '98 Eagle 12SO. Problem is we are camping in two weeks. I would at least like to try to fix these two lifters ourselves. I've come across several threads describing the repair, but I can't visualize where these are located. Does anyone have a diagram of where these are so we can at least take a look and see if this is a DIY repair?

I appreciate the help! 4th of July holiday is on the line here.
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

What exactly is the problem with the lifters?

Main parts of the Jayco system are located at the four corners INSIDE the popup.

'96 Jayco 1406
'12 Dodge Grand Caravan
fsavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

Well, the last few times we camped we noticed the passenger rear one had some trouble lifting, but if you gave it a boost it would work. Then last weekend we got back from camping and wanted to set up to dry the canvas. Both lifters in back seemed to be "lagging" behind the front ones and we heard a loud "pop" which was louder than the usual thunk we hear midway through the lift. Then both stopped lifting. It was too hard for us to lift the entire back section so we gave up and closed it back up.
Right now we found another RV dealer who is hopefully going to take a look at it in a day or two. I hope it is something relatively minor like a couple of broken eye bolts, but fear a broken cable or two. Would it be pretty unusual for two cables to break at the same time?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #4

We got the bad news from the dealer. They claim at least 8 hours labor plus parts. Could run as high as $3000, more than the pop-up is worth at this point. We went over and took a look. 2 cables have busted, on the third the tackle pulled out of the floor and in general things just look bad. No way to have it fixed by the 3rd even if we wanted to. Only 1 working lifter.

So with the idea of saving our holiday, I am willing to try anything. If we can raise the roof and use 2x4s to prop it up, I think we can limp through the summer. The problem will be raising it. It has an air conditioner and that roof is heavy! I was thinking about trying to raise it using a couple of farm-type jacks and then use the 2x4s under the three broken corners. I've attached a picture of the style jack I was thinking of using. They raise 42", so it would get us close. We'd use a pair of them, one in the front middle and one in the back, jacking up in unison while someone cranks the one good lifter.

Any thoughts to the plausibility of this solution?

http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch...jack-6530.html
Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #5

I don't know your financial situation, but maybe you can rent one:
http://ns9.webmasters.com/*artsrv.co...talpopups.html
http://www.83rvrentals.com/Vehicle-R...hmen%20TC.aspx

If you are thinking of buying a new one, and have a dealer selected, maybe they'll give you some of the money you use to rent off the price of a purchase.
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Sorry I didnt see this sooner
Attached Thumbnails
Lifter System.jpg  
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Thanks. I checked rentals and the only thing available locally are very expensive units ($225/day). At that price, we can get a nice hotel room.

So we did find out that our insurance covers this sort of thing. The adjuster is coming out tomorrow to see if it is fixable or totaled. Either way, we will not have it next week for camping. We bought a gargantuan tent at Walmart. So after 30 years of marriage we have regressed back to the same camping situation we had when we were newly married ; - )

I am pondering one thing. Out unit is a SO. IF we decide to try to fix this ourselves and we take the insurance offer minus the salvage value (at least I am thinking this is a possibility), will we have to remove the SO to get at the broken cable section for those rear lifts? That's what the service guy says. If this is the case, i think that will be too much for us to attempt on our own.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

I'm still new here. What's a SO?
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Sorry, slide out.