Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Ummmmm if you plug your umbilical cord into the tow vehicle it is the same as using jumper cables.....snip
Seann45,

I 'believe' that most standard automotive alternators can put out a maximum of around 60 AMPS, but the voltage regulator controls the amount going out based on the TV's electrical system demand..., but is minimal through the 7-pin connector. It's been my understanding that jumping off the TV's battery will allow more AMPS to flow (although regulated) in lieu of a 7-pin connector when being utilized (please note: OP presently has a 4-pin connector, stating it doesn't provide any charging capability to his PUP).

I would agree that if charging is only available from a TV, the 7-pin connector would be more convenient (simple hook-up), but using the jumper method has it's benefits when utilized correctly.

In any case, I would consider other alternatives (some suggested earlier) if I found myself relying to often on my TV to keep my RV battery charged while dry camping.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #22

If you goto a truckers store or truck stop they have white LED replacement bulbs our battery last forever now with those bulbs they don't use hardly any juice but i will warn you they are about 15.00 each. 1156 is what my 1991 Jayco uses for porch light and inside light.
CentralNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #23

Well we're back from our trip and I can report the battery lasted fine for 4 full days of dry camping. 'Course, that could be because we hardly called on it; I forgot to pull the PUP to the campground water spigot before setting up, and still haven't figured out how to get water into the tank any other way than with a hose, so we didn't use onboard water. The fridge ran on gas just fine, and other than using the lights occasionally we used hardly any elec. So, not a fair test. Nonetheless I will keep everyone's helpful tips in mind.
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #24

Dry camping is all we do. I have two deep cycle delco batteries and have no problem going 4 days, unless you are using your furnace. You will get to learn your trailer electrical usage real quick. Just be conservative and you will be fine.
2003 F250 Super Crew Power Stroke 4x4
2014 Lund 1800 Tyee 175 Merc Verado 9.9 Pro Kicker
Dukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #25

We dry camped the first year on two marine/rv (hybrid deep cycle) batteries. We made sure they were both fully charged just before the trip. They worked fine for two nights, even with the furnace used lightly.

This year I upgraded to two Trojan (true deep cycle) 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. Now when the weekend is over the batteries seem barely affected. But holy tongue weight, batman!
Big Bad John is offline   Reply With Quote