Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Exterior paint job

Hi all,

I thought I would share a quick photo showing the progression of my paint.

I started by removing all of the old pin striping and decals with a 3M wheel on a power drill. Next was a couple of good washes with TSP, wow was this thing dirty.

Due to the orange peel textured aluminum shell, I felt confident that any roller marks wouldn't be seen. One coat of primer later it was time to paint, I used white Rustoleum enamel paint found in any big box store. Two coats of paint later, I removed all of the accessory covers and painted them black. Yes, I wanted to have my PuP match my tow vehicle. Call me vain :-)

All in all, this was an easy project and the results have earned me several compliments at the campgrounds. It has been over a year since I painted, and even in the brutal Arizona sun, the paint is holding up great!!!

If anyone who has been thinking about doing this has any questions, I have lots of pics and maybe some answers!

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #2

Nice project !
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

It looks great!
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

WOW, Just WOW!!!
That looks fantastic.
2005 Jayco 1007 - 2007 - 2012
2010 Jayko 141J - 2012 -
Jayko 141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

Looks amazing, great job! Other than the TSP, did you do any other surafce prep? Sanding etc? Also is that a standard exterior paint? Am wanting to paint ours to match the new canvas and appreciate any help we can get.
SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERADO View Post
Looks amazing, great job! Other than the TSP, did you do any other surafce prep? Sanding etc? Also is that a standard exterior paint? Am wanting to paint ours to match the new canvas and appreciate any help we can get.
I did sand any rough areas and the 3M decal remover wheel was amazing for the pinstriping removal. However no, I didn't go crazy and sand to raw metal, but there wasn't terrible chipping or peeling. I used high gloss white Rustoleum latex (Home Depot) and almost 2 years later it still looks great! I would recommend talking pictures of all the accessories your remove prior to painting, and I used an egg carton to hold the screws etc. once I labeled the container, it was a breeze to get everything back together again.

I also did the frame with Rustoleum high gloss black enamel and it also is still in great shape. If I can help with ideas or more pictures, please reach out :-) Good luck on your adventure! It was the cheapest and most seen part of my renovation.

PS don't forget the primer! It made a world of difference in my opinion, I don't remember the name, but also a HD product!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerteri View Post
I also did the frame with Rustoleum high gloss black enamel and it also is still in great shape. If I can help with ideas or more pictures, please reach out :-) Good luck on your adventure! It was the cheapest and most seen part of my renovation.
Please post more pics or you can email them to me. I would love to see the process. Do you know if the Rustoleum is tintable?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

This is the canvas we are trying to match. Sorry the pics are sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
20160521_124414.jpg   20160521_124456.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Additional Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERADO View Post
Please post more pics or you can email them to me. I would love to see the process. Do you know if the Rustoleum is tintable?
Silverado,

Your PUP looks to be in great shape! What year is it? I googled tintable Rustoleum and found this https://www.babble.com/crafts-activi...-now-tintable/ It seems this is about a 5 year old link, but imagine the product is still available???

The rear photo of my PUP is after JUST one coat of primer, what a difference! Also please note the pic that shows the removal of the side pin-striping. I first tried to remove with a heat gun, but struggled to get a mere inch removed. The 3M tool was a MUST HAVE for me
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 08-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

Interior Pics

I thought I also would share the interior redecoration pics. Please note the first picture, as this is how it looked day I brought the PUP home.

The flooring I found on a "Super Clearance" sale at HD got 2 boxes (more than enough) for a total cost of $12.00 yay!

Sewing the new valance, curtains and cushion covers was all my dear ol' moms doing. Thank goodness or I would have lost a finger or two haha.

I found an AMAZING primer that actually works on contact paper. Zinszer Bullseye 123!! It made refinishing all the interior cabinetry a pleasure, finished it with Behr interior high gloss white and black latex paint.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

It is a 95 1206 model. We have replaced the roof, canvas and awning. Made new cushions, valance and curtains. New birch countertops, repainted, retiled and new lighting. Paint is all that remains. I have tried many times to make a renovation album with no success.
I will have to try again and thank you for the compliment.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

Yours looks very nice inside as well.