Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #1

Furnace not igniting

It has been working for a week or two, but starting last night it doesn't seem to ignite.

Turn on switch, set thermostat. Blower starts, then you can hear a sound that seems to be a flame firing up (similar to when lighting the water heater) that lasts about 5-10 seconds, then the flame sound stops. Blower keeps blowing the whole time, air never gets warm. The flame sound starts again, then stops. Seems to be trying to ignite every 15 seconds, then waits 10, then tries again. After several attempts the blower shuts down.

This is just a simple heater, no ducts. I'll do a visual inspection and look for a reset switch as soon as it gets a little lighter outside, but was just wondering if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Hopefully the visual will show a spider web or dirt dauber has clogged up the burner area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

Look at my signature and pull up the Atwood Hydroflame Service manual. It has some troubleshooting steps and likely problems.

My guess is possible obstruction, then bad flame sensor, then bad circuit board in that order. Sail switches are a common problem, but since your is trying to ignite, it sounds like it is fine.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #4

checked the propane cylinder - still has pressure - but the water heater pilot is out (it is been very windy in western New Mexico) - will pull the front panel off the heater and inspect next
Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

Well now the flame won't sustain at the cooktop range, so I'm going to guess we're out of propane, or at least low enough to have low pressure. And now it becomes obvious why a lot of people have two tanks.....
Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

If other gas appliances won't work properly either, LP could be low or one's regulator could be slowly going. If new LP tank doesn't work, I'd investigate the LP Regulator next. Then, give your furnace an in-depth cleaning.

Every 4-5 years, I physically remove my TT's heater and clean it out. I shake them upside down and use a high powered air host to blow them out (while wearing glasses). Just last week, I 100% removed my 2006 Jayco's heater and cleaned it out. Man, you should see all the dust, grime and mouse droppings inside that unit. While removing, I inspect all piping, ducts and where needed, make "better then factory" repairs. If your RV is older then 5 years, I'd recommend a 100% cleaning (removal and air blowing) as well. I was surprised with all the "junk" inside our TT's furnace.

BTW: Many thanks to Rustic Eagle for posting " http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=fire ". His thread reminded me to pull my TT's furnace completely out (since its now 5 years old) and give it an in-depth cleaning. Did I mention that I was amazed on how much lint, dust and mouse droppings inside our TT's furnace as well? Glad I disconnected its brass hose, removed it and gave it an in-depth proper air blowing cleaning. Time well spent. Thank you for the reminder Rustic.

Hope this lesson learned helps many....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Took the tank in for a refill. It weighed 55 pounds. Not out of fuel! Tested it again last night. Everything lit up, cooked food, hot water. This morning, nothing again.

I'm thinking regulator, but rather than just starting to replace parts willy-nilly, we're taking it in for warranty repair.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #8

After testing it turned out that the valve in the pigtail (behind the Acme nut) was at fault. New pigtail, all good!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
After testing it turned out that the valve in the pigtail (behind the Acme nut) was at fault. New pigtail, all good!
Sounds like the hose between the tank and regulator. re:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SS500_.jpg

thanks for sharing your fix. Good catch....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

My hubby is trying to pull out our furnace & replace the circuit board right now. Am having trouble pulling out the furnace from our 339flqs. Any suggestions?
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 diesel crew cab
Orcuttclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

Furnace stopped in the middle of the night for no reason. When I looked inside the furnace I am able to see a small flashing, red light. However I am not able to get to it and the furnace will not restart. We're traveling and it's very cold, any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Model is 2013 33.5 RLDS
GillJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum (although the circumstances could be better).

Are you boondocking on battery only or are you connected to 'shore' power?

Does the furnace blower run before the furnace tries to fire?

Do the burners light on your propane stove?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillJV View Post
Furnace stopped in the middle of the night for no reason.

When I looked inside the furnace I am able to see a small flashing, red light.
Ours did the same thing. Stopped in the middle of the night.

On our furnace, an Atwood, the rate of flashing indicated the problem. Once a second meant something, twice a second something else, 3 times a second a third problem.

Mine was once a second - looked up the furnace on the Internet and replaced the sail switch. So far it's been working.

You probably need to do the same - Google the furnace model number and post what the flashes mean. More help may come that way.