Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Good idea or not?

I purchased some Dicor Elastomeric Roof Coating to recoat my roof on my pop up. I really like this stuff alot in the way it seals and covers roof with a thin layer of protection.

Here's my question.

Our camper needed a new coat of paint on the sides when we purchased it. We temporarily lost our minds and thought we could paint it ourselves with a green outdoor paint (valspar) and once we finished we realized how dull it was and stripped the entire thing.

So here we are with sides that are ready for paint and were considering hiring a paint shop to paint the sides with automotive paint and clearcoat. $$
As I'm putting the dicor on the roof, it looks really good. Like really really good. Coats amazingly well covering every blemish underneath and the white is nice and bright.

Is this stuff durable enough to paint on the sides of the camper or is that a terrible idea (another one, lol) We like the look of it on the roof so having the sides white instead of a color would not bother us, however we do not want to have to go through the whole stripping process again.

So, would this stuff last and be a durable coating for the sides of the camper or should we just continue with the idea to have it professionally painted (ala car style)
ceslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum ceslen. I`m not a paint expert by any means, but I think that stuff was really made for roofs.It may not retain a shine. I would go with a quality auto or aluminum paint for the aluminum sides. But wait for others to respond, don`t go on my advice, its just my 2 cents worth. Which is not worth much on this issue.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #3

Thanks for your feedback Crabman. I agree with the 'shine' as it is definately not a gloss, however since its white I'm less concerned about the shine (the white seems bright enough without a gloss) and more about the durability. It seemed to also help hide the little dings the roof has in it and I'm thinking it would do the same for the sides. The sides are made of the same material as the roof (that textured aluminum) so I'm guessing it would be as durable on those as it is on the roof. I'm gonna link the exact coating so everyone can see what I'm using.

http://store.rvdirect.com/rvdirect/d...p?ITEM=2000771

Thanks again guys and glad to be a Jayco owner now! =D
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

I have painted a few trailers and my truck camper and used single stage urathane paint. I used Genesis from Sherwin Willaims, and it is bascially a one coat paint.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink there is the truck camper last year when I put it on my tow vehicle, there is a fifth wheel hitch under that camper too. That Lance is a 1993 and was that off white color, so i went with bright white and a couple of stripes.
Using base clear would be more expensive than single stage, more prepwork and double the materials. Single stage Genesis or Imron from Dupont, nice thick paint, its what we use on the big trucks, Kenworth Peterbilt and so on.

Not familiar with the Dicor your using, but thinking its not for the side of the camper, but one could do a little area and see how it turns out.

Also I have seen guys paint thier pickups with a brush and roller, heh don't laugh, they did such a good job that at a glance I could not tell the difference.

I had a Cardinal fifth wheel a few years back, after re doing the interior with new furniture and floors I looked at the outside and it was dull, the graphics were faded too. Masked it up and shop a coat of Imron clear on it and it came back nice and shiny. Took me a day to scuff and mask and then another half day to shoot it. Month later it burned down.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

My first fiver, right after paint.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Coalrig: that looks amazing! . Glad to hear the bit about someone using a roller because that's what I'm using for the roof. Lol. I think your onto something with the 'try a little spot idea. Worst case we just strip the paint from that one spot. We only paid 2300 for the camper and I grimace to think about paying several hundred more for the paint. The more I think about it.. If it's good enough for the beating it takes on the roof, it should at least serve it's purpose for the side. Crossing fingers, lol. I'll post pics for those curious in a bit.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #7

I am not sure how well the product would stick to aluminum or gel coat.. it is made to stick to rubber roof.. you may find that in short order it would peel off in huge chunks.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I am not sure how well the product would stick to aluminum or gel coat.. it is made to stick to rubber roof.. you may find that in short order it would peel off in huge chunks.
Then stuff he`s talking about in the link is made for metal/fiberglass roofs, not EPDM rubber.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #9

In an ironic twist, seems the parts I had problems with were on the roof not the sides. Before it had 'fully cured' it received a coat of dew which pooled in places. Apparently this is very very bad. Areas on the roof peeled off like sunburnt skin. Happy to note the sides however are everything I wanted them to be. A rubbery elastic coating that sealed every little crevice and can take dings without chipping. As of last night, I removed and recoated the areas on the roof and moved the camper into my garage to give it the full uninterrupted cure time of 24-48 hours of moisture free air.

We are taking a memorial day trip to the beach tomorrow so I'm going to save my uploading of pics until we get down there and set up. Then the true test begins. lol.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

cesen,

I'm a new member to the thread and stummbled on to this old forum. I was wondering how your paint job held up over the years? I'm giving serious consideration to the idea of paining my 1995 Jayco Pop Up with Dicor Elastomeric Roof Coating also. Would you still recommend this?
Jayco95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco95 View Post

I'm a new member to the thread and stummbled on to this old forum. I was wondering how your paint job held up over the years? I'm giving serious consideration to the idea of paining my 1995 Jayco Pop Up with Dicor Elastomeric Roof Coating also. Would you still recommend this?
What he said ..........
rockerarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #12

For anyone searching for pain options, I had great success with Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint. It was only 11.97 a quart on amazon. I used 3 quarts to cover my pop-up camper and it covered with 2 coats. Looks great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jayco95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #13

Considered linex?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote