Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Hand crank 2012 1206

I have a 2012 1206 and was surprised it did not come with a manual hand crank (it does have the power lift). The dealer rep said I should buy a drill bit but have no idea what he was talking about regarding the size of the bit. Does anyone know where I could buy a manual hand crank in case the power lift stops working?
Thanks.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

Power tonge jacks come with a manual override handle in case of power failure. Your dealer should find yours or get a replacement. My trailer to was missing it during my pick up inspection. The dealer couldn't find it, ordered one and had it sent directly to my house about a week later.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

I referring to a hand crank to lift the roof of a pop up.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

LOL maybe I should pay more attention to what forum I was reading, activity stream makes it to easy to catch up on new posts with out paying attention to the forum --- sorry.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

I had a 2011 1206 with the remote control roof lift (Very cool!) On the back there was the opeing for the crank but when I looked in there there was nothing and no crank. I never asked the dealer and since traded it in but I think it doesn't come with one as they remove that assy when the remote control is installed.
techmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #6

I think I would check directly with Jayco about this, I find it hard to believe there isn't a way to manually raise/lower the roof. To many things that could go wrong. We dry camped several times and I would think using battery power to run the motor would use a fair amount of juice. Often times, our battery was about done when we were ready to leave and wouldn't have enough left in it to run that motor. And, there is always the possibility of the motor frying out on you. I honestly wouldn't buy one with a power lift if it did not have a manual option. Do you have an opening for a crank handle?
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Yes there is an opening and inside there is a place to insert a place to inset a bit (sorry for my non-mechanical terminology) the bit looks like one of those that is star shapped, a torx bit?
So the dealer rep says I should get a drill extension and bit but I'm concerned if I have no power for the roof I may have no power for a drill. So I was looking for something manual. I just can't believe jayco doesn't provide something.
It would not support one of the older manual cranks that are a square.
I'm completly confused and there is nothing in the manual.

2012 Jay Series 1206
2011 Pathfinder
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #8

Doesn't sound like your dealer is very helpful, I would try emailing or calling Jayco customer service and see what they have to say. Make sure you have your VIN# ready. service@jayco.com
All you would need to do to operate it manually is find the correct size bit that can be used with a ratchet or breaker bar. You'll probably need an extension to reach it, I would think even a 3/8" drive would be enough to raise the roof. It wouldn't be real fast, but would work.

You could also use something like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4109_200304109
ITBC
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

I didn't know jayco had a number, found it and called. They said it would take "all day" to raise by hand. The said to use a 1/4 inch socket on a 6-12" extension on a screw gun or drill. I assume this goes for all pop ups with a power roof. I guess I will be bringing a battery powered drill each time I take a trip. Probably a good idea if anything else breaks.

2012 Jay Series 1206
2011 Pathfinder
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #10

Sounds like that's your only option.
ITBC
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #11

Hand crank 2012 1206

Hi,

Our 2011 1208 has the electricity raised roof too. The piece that you end up turning is a huge worm gear, the width of the camper. You use the socket & extension like the other type of hand crank, but end up turning it hundreds of turns to get it very far. I tried using a bit & brace setup with an extension and socket and found out quick that I needed a cordless drill instead. I now carry the cordless drill, with two battery packs incase of no power to raise or lower the roof. I've never had to do this manually, but have done it once just to learn and experience doing it.

I also found out that, yes it will raise and lower when only using the 12 volt battery power, when not connected to my truck or to shore power, but having the 7 pin trailer plug still connected to my truck and the engine running provides more power and gets the job done faster. Connecting to shore power works even better.

Happy camping,

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDP77 View Post
I didn't know jayco had a number, found it and called. They said it would take "all day" to raise by hand. The said to use a 1/4 inch socket on a 6-12" extension on a screw gun or drill. I assume this goes for all pop ups with a power roof. I guess I will be bringing a battery powered drill each time I take a trip. Probably a good idea if anything else breaks.
Our 2012 #1007 also did NOT come with a manual crank for the roof and I glanced into the manual hole in the rear and it looked like a special 3 pin crank and not a standard socket...so that is good to hear it is only a 1/4" standard socket. I think I'll also do a manual raise in driveway once to get the experience if the motor should ever fail. In our small door inside pocket next to the jack stand crank is another larger square slot and we assumed this is where the manual crank was supposed to be located...
flyinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Manuel lifter system handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDP77 View Post

I was forced to use the 1/4" socket, extension and drill when one of my lifting pole brackets tore loose from the floor due to water damage. This was guess work on my part since I had just bought the trailer. I have the 2012 Jay series. This manual method worked smooth but I would hate cranking by hand because it would take forever and a day. Ive always carry a charged drill motor from that moment forward.
I hope this helped.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #14

I have a cheapo Harbor Freight nicad drill I paid $16 for. Based on the last one it will only last a year or two but better than possibly losing my $200 model. I use it to run the corner jacks up and down. I assume it would also do the trick for your roof in a pinch.

I also had the opportunity to help out a fellow camper when he had to drill a hole in an emergency. I take alone a small drill bit package and some assorted screw driver tips.

The special bit for corner jacks is only about $5 on Amazon. Really save time and mosquito bites, rain, and hot sun time when setting up or tearing down.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote