Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Help Please

I was hoping to get help here on a couple of issues I had on our first trip in our pop-up. I got the fridge working just fine. Gets colder than the one in my kitchen. I couldn't get the heater going, or the lights to run off the battery though. I think I'm missing part of my manual but what I do have says to turn off the power to the furnace, but it doesn't say where. Then it says to open the exterior door. Is this the same door outside where the fridge operates, or the hot water heater? It later says turn circuit breaker or switch on. Is this in the panel box under the table? I have a 2006 Jayco model 1006. I emailed Jayco and the guy was telling me to take the cover off the heater itself for the switch but I don't think that's right. It's screwed on. He then sent me the schematic but I'm not an electrician and I don't quite get them. The lights just wouldn't work. They worked great plugged in, but on the battery nothing. Is there another main switch for this? Any help would really be appreciated. My wife would really like lights and heat next time. Thanks a bunch....Bill
rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a couple possibilities.
1. Maybe your battery is dead. Check for voltage. You need the 12V for lights (no shore power) and for the furnace.
2. Main inline fuse for battery is blown. It's usually a flat plastic housing near the battery. Follow the black cable coming off battery.
3. Not sure on the furnace. In a TT the on/off is on the thermostat. Usually at the top right corner. hard to switch, have to push hard.
4. Furnace should be on a 12V fuse I would guess. Yes, these are all located in the power distribution panel usually under table. Should be a diagram listing which fuse goes to furnace.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

Some of the furnaces did have a switch on the outside under the cover for servicing.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	9242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	9243

Remove the cover by turning the black button then pull out from the bottom. Push the reset button in.
N.S.Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

It almost sounds like the same problem for both the Furnace and the lights. A blown fuse in the battery lead will do the same thing your are describing.

You may have the battery connected up in REVERSE ORDER also. That's about the only thing that will blow that in-line fuse.

Here is what I do when around my POPUP battery. I find the word "NEG" or the symbol "-" on the battery case and make darn sure this is the battery cable that connects to the trailer FRAME GROUND. this should be a BLACK for Positive(+) and WHITE(-) for Negative Frame ground but sometimes they use RED for Positive (+) and Black for frame ground (-). The best to do is look for the word "NEG" and go from there...

Otherwise it will blow the in-line fuse located just close to the battery terminals and breaks the wiring between the battery and the 12VDC fuse panel (Converter/charger unit)

Check for the REVERSE POLARITY first otherwise if it is wrong it will just blow the fuse again when you replace it.

Try that out and tell us what happens

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Well I know the battery is good. Brand new and charged before we left. Hooked up correctly as well. I will look under the cover for a reset button and I'll check the fuses. I'll also look for the on/off switch on the thermostat. Is that how you turn it on? Hit that switch, and set thermostat?
rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That's how my furnace in my TT works. On/Off switch is on top right hand corner of Thermostat.
Then set the temp with the lever on the bottom.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote