Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Help with battery

Hello,

We just bought our first pup -- it's an 1997 eagle 10 ld. It doesn't have a battery and it needs a new box for the battery (the lid and strap blew off while the previous owner was driving down the road.) I have no idea what size battery or where I can get a new box. Any advice would be appreciated. (the previous owner has all of the manuals, I'm picking the trailer up next weekend or I would have looked at the manuals first!)
I'm getting electric brakes installed and from everything i've read, I'll need the battery for the breakaway cable (i think.)
puplife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

Smile

A lot of people on this site are very knowledgeable and can advise you . You can get the battery you need and the box and strap at camping world they have service dept so they can advise on what you need
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

If your not using the camper off the grid then a standard group 24 deep cycle will be fine. The boxes can be found anywhere( walmart, sporting goods stores). Good luck
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

I bought a new group 24 battery at Costco. There batteries seem to get a good rating.
Jhmlbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The standard battery supplied by most RV dealers is a Group 24, 12V Marine/RV Deep Cycle combination battery (not a true, full Deep Cycle battery).

As mentioned, battery boxes are at RV dealers or Walmart.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #6

You can also get a strap at Walmart
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

Any place that sells the battery, will probably sell the box. I have a group 24 deep cycle in my pop up because I also have two of the exact same batteries, bought at the same time, in my boat. You could consider a group 27, which is physically larger and has a slightly greater reserve capacity. If you really need a lot of reserve capacity, you could look into two 6v golf cart batteries. You are in a great position to get exactly what you need since you are starting from scratch.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Site Team

What are you going to use it for?

I guess you need to sit down and ask yourself a few questions before you
purchase your battery(s):

Are you just going to be camping at sites that provide shore power?
-- If so the standard marine size 24 marine/RV battery that comes with most TT's is fine.

Are you going to be dry camping (no shore power)? You will want to go with TRUE deep cycle batteries and not the standard TT supplied batteries. They supply power a lot longer than the std size 24 batteries.

You will need to get a better understanding as to what electronics you will be using while dry-camping. Get your pencil and paper out and start calculating the drain from each of the items you intend to use while dry-camping.

You will also need to address how you plan to charge them during your dry-camping expedition.

Let us know how you will be camping.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the input. I'll have to think about how we are going to use it before I make the purchase.
Picking up the camper tomorrow.
puplife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #10

If you will be boon docking often, I'd get and SRM 29 battery and associated box. Most reserve capacity for a standard 12v deep/marine cycle. It'd power your pop up for a long time. Not to mention you can put smaller SRM 27 or 24 batteries in the 29 box if it'll fit on your trailer. As others mentioned, a SRM 24 is dealer standard because they assume most people plug in and that's all that is needed in that case.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #11

My father in law had a battery stolen and the wires was cut, I have three wires that are hanging, which wire goes where when it comes to placing it on the new battery I will be getting...
toebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #12

My father in law had a battery stolen and the wires was cut, I have three wires that are hanging, which wire goes where when it comes to placing it on the new battery I will be getting...
toebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #13

Let us know what colors the wires are. Typically white will be your ground (-), black will be positive (+) and both of those will be approximately the same size. The third wire is most likely smaller than the other two and it is to supply power to the brake break-away.