Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Posts: 2
Hitch question

I would like to add a bike rack to my 2005 Baja select 12hw . I found a Reese hitch extension with a square receiver piggybacked on top to hold a bike rack. I think this is a great idea but I'm concerned with adding extra length to the trailer hitch. The hitch is rated at 4000lbs Gtw and 400lb tongue weight. I think the weight of my camper is 2750lb dry. I don't want to go over the max load once I add bikes and other supplies in camper. Does anyone have experience with this hitch or any suggestions?
__________________

penskesux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 612
I would say that it is probably a bit risky, but get your rig weighed so that you know what the tongue weight is now.


If your trailer is near the 15% end of 10-15% tongue weight, you are already near the 400 lb tongue weight DRY; adding cargo to the trailer will increase the TW more. Add the weight of the extension, bike rack, and the bikes onto that and you are probably well over the 400 lbs rating.


There are options for A-Frame mounts that will add some to the TW; about 60% of the rack and bike weight probably, depending on where the mount attaches between the ball and axle, with the other 40% going rearward to the pup axle. Or you can go with cargo rails on the pup roof with standard roof top racks which places most of the weight directly over or behind the pup axle. DON'T consider a bumper mount for your pup unless it is welded directly to the frame itself as it will likely rip the bumper right off the frame from the leverage.


Rack on our 1007:



A-frame rack on our 19H



ETA: Search for bike rack on this sub-forum. Someone also posted a photo of a rack that attaches the front forks to a rack on the A-Frame, with the rear tires resting on the trailer roof. Another good option for a pup.
__________________

__________________
2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Posts: 2
Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate your great suggestions. Not sure what direction I plan to take but I have some good ideas to persue.
Thanks again
Mike
penskesux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Milford
Posts: 343
I have one of these GenY four hole receivers, they also sell a three hole version. I use it when towing my small boat in the bottom hole, bike rack in the middle hole, and a mount for the 9.9 outboard in the top hole.
I has a weight rating of 10,000 lbs, and can be installed up or down, and its made in the USA. You can find it on Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	geny.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	27511
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.