Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Hot water Tank Leaking - Baja 10y

Hi - New to this forum and to pop-ups in general. I just purchased a 2008 Baja 10y and am currently setting it up for our first trip.

The previous owner had winterized it all of the lines were full of rv antifreeze etc. I flushed the system out with clean water, then attempted to fill everything. When the hot water tank began to fill water started pouring out from the backside of the tank (a lot). The only thing i can feel back there is the drain for the tank which goes through the sidewall. My question is, could the tank have cracked due to improper storage (it was -30 to -40C for most of last winter) or would it more likely be the connection where the drain is? Or alternatively did i miss something that needs to be closed before filling?

If i use the bypass no leak, its only when water is filling the hot water tank.

I probably didnt give enough detail but hopefully someone has a couple ideas.

Thanks in advance
Jahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Is the anod rod or drain cap installed?

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

Drain cap for the water tank is on, not sure what the anod rod is?

From what i can tell, if the tank cap was off the water would drain through the side wall outside.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

any drain plug I have ever had on any hot water tank is on the front at bottom of tank if its leaking out the back side of tank then you could have a broken or loose fitting on one of the connections on back ether the freshwater fill port or hot water discharge port.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #5

If i look at the tank from inside the trailer, i have my freshwater in, hot water discharge, bypass, and 2 drain valves. From the outside i can see one drain plug just below the lighting area for the heater - if i reach around from inside i can feel water buildup under the styrofoam insulation.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Same Problem

We are having the same problem with our Jayco 5th wheel, inlet and output water drains are not leaking, no water from there but water coming from below under the styrofoam..
Trvlng4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja 10y hot water heater