Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Insurance Question (and introduction)

Hello, this is my first post, but I often use this forum for help with camper issues.

I have a question about how to deal with insurance when it comes to buying back the camper if it is declared a total loss.

Here is the back story:
I frequently use my father-in-law's 2003 Jayco Eagle Summit pop up. I've added electric brakes and done some renovations, repair, and cleaning work since I like to return things in better shape than when I borrow them. That didn't work out so well recently. A few weeks ago I was in an accident coming back from Myrtle Beach. It totaled my tow vehicle and did a fair amount of damage to the camper. I thank God every day my family is all safe and well.

My FIL has insurance through State Farm on the camper and we got an estimate to repair the damage - $3,400. I am pretty sure they will declare the camper a total loss. I would however like to get the camper repaired rather than replaced. I have only ever dealt with an insurance claim once (this accident for the tow vehicle) and don't have much experience with how the process works.

If it is declared a total loss, and we take the insurance payout, do any of you know the process necessary to buy back the camper? If it's too much of a mess, I plan to just forgo the insurance and repair the camper myself (I'm more than qualified to do the repair work).

Thanks for any input on the matter.

josh
jmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

Probably has more to do with the insurance company's policies than anything. Used to be on an automotive policy, you could buy it back at the insurance company's scrap value. Don't know if that is still commonly done that way, or if it would apply to a RV policy. But it would not hurt to ask after they pay the claim. Like, immediately after.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

Best case, you'll end up with a salvage title if they total it, which may *or* may not make it a nightmare to register the vehicle... err I mean camper again in your state. Just something to make sure you watch out for before you sign anything. Some insurance company's require that you turn over the camper. They will scrap it and recover some coin.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Simply ask the adjuster. This is a common occurance, the insurance company doesn't want that pup so they are typically very fair on their valuations.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I hope the adjuster will make it a simple transaction. So far it sounds like he has no clue what a pup is.
jmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

I am sure the insurance carrier would be more than happy to leave it with you by getting an estimate from a wrecking yard as to the value of the salvage. they would just deduct that from the final adjustment amount. One consideration is the insurance carrier may be required to report the totalled vehicle to the state department of licensing. This may require you to have to get it inspected and re-titled with a salvage title issued.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, loss, totaled