Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #21

We loved our pop-up, it was cheap to own, easy to store and I pulled it around with a 4 cylinder Honda Element. What we didn't like is it was so small we had to sleep on opposite bunk ends, no bathroom, and not comfortable when the temperature was high due to lack of a/c. None of that is what moved us from a pop up to a TT though. It was water. No joke, 90% of the time we camped in it, it had to be broke down in the rain, which required me to open it back up to dry out when we got home. Then close it up once dry. Then open it up to pack it up, then close it down to travel. It just got old. We're getting older too and with a host of joint issues I find the TT way more comfortable. Like anything though, it has its own drawbacks. I would hate to see them stop offering p-ups but I do agree they are becoming way over priced. Wait, isn't all of it overpriced for what we're getting? Including the trucks!
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
well then maybe my pup will be worth as much 5 years from now as I paid for it new...
BTW was the 14K TT new?

We paid $15,000 for our Jay Feather 7 18RBM in Feb. of this year. List was about $25,000. Pays to look for any RV purchase in the dead of Winter.

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
Pays to look for any RV purchase in the dead of Winter.

So true! We bought our 5th wheel 3 days before Christmas last year- I was able to name my price, and they freely admitted that they'd take just about anything as no one buys RV's in December

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
So true! We bought our 5th wheel 3 days before Christmas last year- I was able to name my price, and they freely admitted that they'd take just about anything as no one buys RV's in December

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many many people buy RV'S in the first week of January at the RV show at the Cleveland IX center. The show prices are pretty decent, a friend of mine bought a 5th wheel with an MSRP of like $74K for $39K and it was a built to order unit not an in stock unit that they had at the show. I think after the past few years of long waits for built to order units a lot of people may start ordering early in the year to get them by spring. This may hurt that ability to get low pricing in that January off season.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We went from tent to 14k TT.
Sounds as if pop ups got too expensive for the hassle of dealing with raising and lowering rolling canvas.
We went from a 1994 Starcraft Starfler to a $24 k TT in 2012..we loved the pup but it was time to let someone else enjoy it as mich as we did. It would be a shame if they stopped making pups.....if it is true, used ones would command bigger bucks if they are in decent shape.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #26

When we traded in our 1007 for our X19H, the dealer was anxious to get the trade; even with a damaged axle he offered top dollar for the trade. When our pup went online a few weeks later, it sold in days.

We are at a CG right now, and although HTT's are actually the most prevalent units here this weekend (aside from tents), pups are a close second. A handful of classic TT's and 5ers. At least in my area, there appears to still be a strong enough market.

I don't know if I would say Starcraft has stopped making them as I would say that Jayco has consolidated the two lines into one. IIRC they are all rolling out of the Starcraft facility now.

ETA: just did another walkaround. The pups now outnumber everything; we're in a PP with about 250 sites here. It's been a cold and wet day; a lot of tents have disappeared. With other changeovers, some HTT's have pulled out too, and more pups arrived. Only two 5ers, 1 class A, 1 class B, 2 class C, 3 truck bed campers. I lost count of the exact numbers, but the entry level pups and HTTs are still in high demand in our corner of Canada.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
It must be easier to set up the new pups I can have mine set up to dry in 10 minutes. ( top up bunks out, door installed. 1/2 the time it took to the same with a tent!
I think it depends on what you bring. I have seen some go up quick, but mine is not one of them. I have a lot of gear that needs to be pulled out, relocated and set up. Between the outdoor kitchen stuff, shelving inside, having to make the beds each time, etc. Usually takes me an hour or so including backing the trailer in (which I suck at still) and fine tuning the level to get the AC runoff to cooperate. I still manage to forget some crucial step as well that requires me to undo something in order to fix it.

I know I would be happier with a TT, but that is out of my budget. I bought my pup used for cheap. New canvas this year, and tires. It works, and I enjoy it when it is set up the way I like it. The constant up and down before and after every trip gets tiring though.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Pop ups used to be fairly inexpensive and a good way for young families to get into camping. But more recently, many of the pop ups are way too expensive and it is just as cheap to get an entry level hardside.
This. We were tenters until mid to late 50's (years old, not decade I ain't that old yet) and pup seemed like the next logical step until seeing that pups with space and ac, critical here in the south to enjoy camping all summer, were within a couple of grand of the 24 FBS we got. It also fit the budget and I'm able to pull with my trusty 01 Tundra, though after four 700-800 mile trips and going north up over the mountains several times I know I'm towing on borrowed time so to speak. Late model diesel in near future I'm hoping.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote