Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Jayco A-Frame first outing checking for issues.

We wanted to go somewhere close for a first run on our new trailer. So we headed out to Cobb Lake BC about an hour from our home.
The first thing I noticed was fuel consumption change. Which is something I will figure out... the best speed and weather our TV can or should tow in 4 or 2 wheel drive.

We arrived at dusk and managed a quick set up before the sun went down. It was very simple and quick. So much better than setting up a tent and camp site in the dark. It did take me about 20 minutes to figure out how to light the propane for our fridge. I was also quite glad that we had some levelling blocks and a cordless drill to help raise and lower the 4 stabilizer jacks.

The next day I set up our Solar panels. I was worried that one basic car battery was not going to be able to sustain the basic power drain requirements. I noticed that through the day, our Water heater, Smoke and Gas detectors were enough to drain the battery by themselves. It would drop from 14 volts to 12.9 Volts at least 3 times a day... causing our solar charging system to kick in. We were not running the radio (the detachable face plate wasn’t even clipped on so not even standby) the fan, lights and heater were not turned on until sundown. And even then we only turned on the heater and the LED flashlight we had was more than enough for lighting. When it came to keeping that battery charged the 3x90Watt panels was probably overkill. (I`m thinking of setting up an additional 2 6volt batteries)

The biggest problem we noticed was over ¾ of the water was lost through the overflow valve during transport. We conserved water for the four days we were there. Not too hard we just boiled water from the lake for washing dishes ect. The Water pump kept having problems and not kicking out but I`m fairly certain it was due to the low water levels so we just turned it on when we used the tap. I plan on getting everything levelled out and using gravity fill to measure in 5 gallons of water... and then mark my tank, repeating the process so I can keep an eye on actual water levels in the future.

Our dogs seemed to work out fairly quickly this new camping experience. Every day we would take the bedding and put it on top of the Toilet, which to us is pointless and will never be used because of the invention of the porta potti. So for most of the day the dogs if they were inside they would just jump up there to look out the windows. At night when the bed was set up they found the cubby under the table that allowed them to be out of the way.

Through the night we would leave the heater set to 60 and it was nice and warm through the night. We noticed two major things. Firstly the biggest loss of heat seems to be through the floor. So I plan on putting the interlocking fatigue mats down. It should help insulate my floor but also its less slippery. The other cool thing is if anything gross hits the floor, we can pull out that section of mats and clean them.

The second night time thing we noticed was the condensation, it wasn’t a big problem. We are kind of curious if any of you have any techniques to help mitigate this?

Over all our first outing was pretty good. Once everything gets done and figured out. We will have an off the grid traveling cabin to camp wherever we like. This was defiantly one of the best purchases we have done.

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice setup, glad you are happy.
Some folks have installed shut off valves on their overflow lines to prevent sloshing water out until they arrive.
Condensation was always a little bit of a problem in our 165 Sport.
Any ventilation will help.
I think we just wiped windows etc with paper towels in the morning.
Maybe heating up a little warmer may help too.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
BCK

Congratulations and sounds like you are off to a great start with your new tt. And no shortage of great spots near PG to enjoy it. For some of your questions...

- Tow in 4x2 unless you require 4x4 for traction
- Losing water through the overflow is a common problem and there are several threads on here about how to fix it
- Condensation is also a common battle and leaving windows cracked open for ventilation works well. Last weekend with damp weather and 5 in our trailer we had to leave the bathroom fan on at night and several windows cracked to eliminate the condensation entirely.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

As others stated install a valve on the overflow tube to save your water. The few times we camped in cooler weather with the propane heater on we had to crack the roof vent an inch or two in order to keep the moisture down, you don't need to run the fan.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
- Tow in 4x2 unless you require 4x4 for traction
Good advice, but part of my problem is what my TV is. According to its specs, it looks like I can haul it in 4x2, But if I didn't have my heavy haul package I'd have to be in 4x4 all the time. I do plan on taking your advice though :-) I also saw a Youtube poster who hauls an A-Frame with the same vehicle I have... so I sent him some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
- Losing water through the overflow is a common problem and there are several threads on here about how to fix it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
As others stated install a valve on the overflow tube to save your water.
Thank you both for that, I actually went out and did that modification today. So thumbs up to you both.

I also plan to try leaving our vent open a crack at night to see if it helps with the Condensation.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #6

I too have installed an interlocking 5/8" foam floor and love it. It's warmer, quiet and really soft under foot. Mine is red oak in finish and this is my 3rd year it and I'll never go back to the hard floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0361.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #7

I made a templet with regular typing paper for those custom cuts and you would never know it was cut by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0366.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #8

Tunce the traveler;

Looks like it worked out well on my end.... But there wasnt a #&@&$% square corner or straight wall in the entire unit so It took hours to cut it flush.