Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

King bed support cross beam screws pulling out

We camped in our "new to us" 2012 Jay series 1206 for the past 10 days. We haven't had any issues with it except for the brown u-channel cross beam that is screwed under the bed slide out for support has some screws popping out. Prior to camping we tightened up al of the screws we could find on the camper and the king bed definitely had some loose screws. It seems that was an issue with the previous owner and I am looking to make it right and even stronger if need be.

I am a very competent handy man but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and what they did other than putting in bigger screws and using some high grade adhesive to hold everything together.

The wood is in great shape minus the screws popping out. One idea is to drill the holes through the wood completely and use some small head bolts and fender washers to help spread the load. Any ideas or thoughts?
dquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #2

All of our pop ups we had in the past, at some point in time, had screws come loose. What I always did, was move to the next larger size that would get a bite in the wood, and, before installing the new screws, I would soak the screw hole with some two part epoxy. Then install the screw before the epoxy sets. I never had a replaced screw back out after using the epoxy. On a load bearing screw, such as you are describing, I would think the nut and bolt with a fender washer, to spread the load out some, would be a better choice. Just make sure the bolt isn't so long, that it interferes with opening or closing the camper.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

I have the same problem and was wondering how and if to fix.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

David has a good repair procedure that will last with no issues. I am a structural repairer and tend to over repair everything I do. This is how I am going to repair and strengthen mine so it never happens again -

Drill through the screw hole from underneath for a 1/4 inch carriage bolt. Since the reinforcing channel is a a good size I will make sure the bolt doesn't extend past the beam that way it doesn't interfere with closing and opening of the beds. Put a lock washer and nut on it or even a cap nut to keep the threads from messing anything up.

When I looked on mine I counted 16 screws from end to end. The first 4 from the ends going in will be bolts then after the fourth hole I will skip to every other one. That will give the support beam enough strength to ensure it doesn't happen again. The carriage bolt will leave a nice rounded head under your mattress that way nothing gets snagged on it.

When we bought the camper the previous owner had some PVC legs to use under the slid outs as an "added precaution" to the metal support legs. I should have known when he said that he meant that he knew there was a problem. I guess he wasn't mechanically inclined and didn't know how to repair or beef the area up.

I plan on doing my repair this weekend and I can take pictures and post it for you if you want.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

All done!

Did my "repair" this weekend and only took 2 hours max start to finish.

Pull the beds out and pull the mattresses off.

Go underneath and remove the first 3 screws from the end (on both sides of the channel and both sides of the bed). Then remove every other screw. I had 20 screws for each slide out when I did it this way.

I drilled the holes from the bottom up with a 1/4 drill bit.

Went to Lowes and bought 40 1/4 20 carriage bolts an inch long. 40 1/4 inch flat washers and 40 1/4 inch nuts.

Push the bolts through the board from the mattress side and put the washer and nut on from the bottom. Once tight you should see 2-3 threads on the bottom. Do not over tighten them or they could pull through the wood. If that happens buy a fender washer and carefully torque it back down.

Easy repair and I spent less than $14 for the hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Issue.jpg   Carriage bolt matress side.jpg   Bolt, washer, and nut underneath.jpg   Inside finished.jpg   Underneath finished.jpg  

Old 06-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #6

I have a 95 model 1206 with the queen rear bed. Is the center support pictured also an available option for my queen bed. We would like the extra support as the wood is over 20 years old and has a slight bow when someone is in it. And I think I am going to do the carriage bolt repair even if only on the perimeter of it because I have most of the screws loose on mine as well.
SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Now you've got me curious. One thing I noticed right away, our 2015 has plywood instead of the OSB. Wonder if it's worth throwing a coat of exterior paint on the undersides.
2015 Jay Series 1207UD - Current

TV: 2008 E350 15-passenger traded for 2014 Honda Odyssey (current)
NY_Rocking_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

I have heard that putting any coating underneath is not good cause you still want the wood to breath. My other camper had just plywood and no coating underneath. I guess if you were dead set on a coating you could put a natural stain there to help repel water.

I think if it is a 2015 they did it for a reason unless it was a repair. Interesting to see them use OSB one year then plywood later on.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #9

It might just be the model of camper that determines the material. Was just on the Jayco site and they seem to be only making the Jay Sport now (our Jay Series was a step up from that model last year) and the pictures on the Jayco site show OSB.
2015 Jay Series 1207UD - Current

TV: 2008 E350 15-passenger traded for 2014 Honda Odyssey (current)
NY_Rocking_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed support cross beam, slide out bed