Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Led interior lights conversion?

HAS ANYONE CONVERTED THEIR INTERIOR LIGHTS TO LED's? SEEMS LIKE A GOOD WAY TO GET THE BATTERIES TO LAST FOR WEEKS OR AT LEAST A LONG TIME.
BFTMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people do this.
I have 921 interior bulbs and just found a direct replacement from eTrailer.com or try Tweetys.com
You can find kits or direct replacement bulbs on Ebay, Amazon etc.
Shop around, prices can vary a lot.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFTMASTER View Post
HAS ANYONE CONVERTED THEIR INTERIOR LIGHTS TO LED's? SEEMS LIKE A GOOD WAY TO GET THE BATTERIES TO LAST FOR WEEKS OR AT LEAST A LONG TIME.
I used these. They produce a very similar color and intensity as the stock incandescent bulbs.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I used these
Do those lights replace the 921 bulb? I've been looking for the same thing and when I look at that link it doesn't look like the connector is the same. Maybe they're showing a picture that doesn't show a good connector?

I went to the Chicago RV show a few months back and there was a vendor selling the whole fixture WITH the bulbs for less than $20. I've been looking for them ever since, I should have bought two of them right there! So I continue the search!
Moose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #5

If you are not sure the trick is to only buy ONE... Then if it is what you like then get all you need. You will need something in the 400-500 LUMENS rating and also WARM WHITE color to replace the current incandescent automotive type bulb. If the company doesn't list their LUMENS rating then you probably won't find it bright enough for you.

This is good place to read up on LEDs
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/24818888.cfm

I first purchased the COMMAND ELECTRONICs PN 170-111 which are 510 LUMEN Boards that stick up inside the DUAL and SINGLE Ceiling light fixtures - They put off excellent light. For my other sockets Porch Light- a couple of Bed Area lights I used the LEDTRAILER ROUND LEDs PN 921-380 which are 380 LUMENS. They are excellant lights as well.

All was going great for me until I did go camping way-back-in-the-woods and found that all of these regulated type of LEDs lights put off a small amount of RFI which in my case interfered with my weak radio and tv reception. With any LED light "ON" my OVER-THE-AIR HDTV reception would totally BLANK OUT. My NOAH WEATHER RADIO reception would not work as well. My Amateur Radio reception was very reduced. All of these Radio/TV units were on OUTSIDE ANTENNAS. When I turned OFF the LED light everything started working as before...

To fix this problem and with much help from CamperPaul, SMKETTNER, and KendallP along with a whole host of others I replaced half of my CEILING LED lights with a SMD BOARD 36-1210 type LED 252 LUMENS (Ebay from CHINA @ $4.99) that does not incorporate an ON-BOARD regulator that allows the board to operate between 8-30VDC using what is known as a BUCK REGULATOR circuit. I have tried a couple of these non-regulated boards and they work fine with NO RFI signals being produced. With my DC Voltage range of 13.2 to 14.4VDC they seem to work just fine but the experts tell me their life span may be reduced somewhat as their operating voltage range spec is not that high but at $4.99 each probably no big deal.

This is why you should only purchase ONE of whatever you get and check for these things in your trailer. What I run into may not be an issue for you at all???

I am very happy with the 4.99 EBAY/CHINA LED boards and after several years of use now I have one board that has two groups of three leds out. I will replace the whole $4.99 board one of these days if it gets dimmer.

You will have to satisfy yourself on what works best for you.

just my thoughts...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose73 View Post
Do those lights replace the 921 bulb? I've been looking for the same thing and when I look at that link it doesn't look like the connector is the same. Maybe they're showing a picture that doesn't show a good connector?

I went to the Chicago RV show a few months back and there was a vendor selling the whole fixture WITH the bulbs for less than $20. I've been looking for them ever since, I should have bought two of them right there! So I continue the search!

Yes, look at the picture.

Each panel has a red and black wires coming out of it that lead into the black connecter. On the right side of the picture are 3 different types of plugs to fit 3 different light sockets. When you order one panel you get everything included in the picture. You would want to use the white plastic plug as that will fit your 921 sockets. You simply connect the panel to the white plug and you're good to go.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
When you order one panel you get everything included in the picture. You would want to use the white plastic plug as that will fit your 921 sockets. .
That's great, I didn't notice that there were different connectors until I studied the picture - and you mentioned it. Looks like it could be a good fit to save power. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #8

I just ordered a dozen of the flat type....I have the 921 bulb currently. I am curious as to the lighting disbursement / lumens comparison / diffusing of a flat panel LED as opposed to a round bulb in the fixture.....I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
I just ordered a dozen of the flat type....I have the 921 bulb currently. I am curious as to the lighting disbursement / lumens comparison / diffusing of a flat panel LED as opposed to a round bulb in the fixture.....I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Well, the best I can do is to give you a picture of both in operation.

This picture was taken with the flash on my camera turned off.

This picture was taken with the flash on my camera turned on.

One bed has the standard 921 bulb, the other bed has the LED panel. I'm not going to tell you which is which, you decide. lol

Old 05-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #10

I just installed the first twelve LED's that cm11599ps had posted earlier. I was a little Leary about them being offshore and possibly low quality. But after installing them I am very impressed, so much that I have ordered another fourteen to replace all of my 921 light bulbs. They give a really nice natural white light. I'm still a little worried about the longevity of these but for the cost, if they last two or three years they will of paid off and I would be more than willing to replace them. Here's a side by side pic of the LED vs. the regular bulb. Ryan
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, the best I can do is to give you a picture of both in operation.

This picture was taken with the flash on my camera turned off.

The bottom is the LED

This picture was taken with the flash on my camera turned on.

One bed has the standard 921 bulb, the other bed has the LED panel. I'm not going to tell you which is which, you decide. lol
I'm guessing the bottom is the LED...
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #12

My LED adventure is documented in link in my sig. There are a lot of variables for everyone....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #13

Led interior lights conversion?

Yes, led panel is on the bottom. :-)

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, led panel is on the bottom. :-)
what do I win?......thanks for the post and tips!!!!....I'm looking forward to trying them out. We're not too worried about battery life, but we do notice the excess heat from the fixtures and the fact that the inverter fan comes on when we start pushing the 12V system. Heat is the enemy.....
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #15

Quote:
I replaced all my lights with these, last year and they work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-48-SMD-L...5be366&vxp=mtr
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #16

^^^^ X2 ^^^^^ - but shop the price on that type and source, they are down to $2-$3 each with shipping......
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #17

OR $1.70!!!!!! (I just noticed the bulk count)......and getting lower by the minute!!!!!. I paid $2.35 a week ago......
Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #18

Yes, Just replaced all the interior lighting to LED bulbs

Quote:
Yes, This is a great way to cut battery amp draw/energy consumption from lighting and another benefit is eliminating the heat from those incandescent bulbs when you are trying to stay cool. You'd be surprised at how much energy those incandescent bulbs waste into heat (something like 95%). Just some advice...these 168/194 LED bulbs are available faily cheap on Amazon and other sites. The bulbs must be installed with the correct polarity +/- and usually aren't marked (they only work one way). What I do is pull the old bulb out then turn the light on and install the LED...if it doesn't light up; flip it over...its a 50/50 shot. I like the LED pure white lighting over the yellowish incandescents.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #19

I have access to a light meter....curious to give it a try on this project
Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #20

Thanks for all the feedback on those lights. I decided since I'm only replacing 4 in the pop-up I'm just going to do it. $10 for four of them, if they work and last even one season I'm good with that...