Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

MIldew on inside of canvas

What is the best method to clean the canvas on the inside when it has mildew? We just recently purchased a 1999 Jayco 12FSO.

Also, anyone know how to get a good seal around the door? A little bit of wind seems to push out the canvas where it attaches to the door. Ughh...I feel like I bought a boat (lol) but I am excited for all the fun we will have with the kids this summer.
shannonx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

We once purchased a pop-up with mildew all over the inside. We ended up using this formula:

1/2 cup bleach
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup warm water

Put into a spray bottle and spray on the mildew. Let it sit for a while to work. We used a sponge to spread it around and scrub a bit everywhere. Then we rinsed with clear water. You should probably re-waterproof the canvas after it is dry (we just bought a spray that you would use on tents).

A good forum for pop-up campers is PopUp Explorer -- we gleaned a lot of good information from them!

Our canvas attached to the door frame using Velcro. We did have to replace some of it as it wore out.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonx3 View Post
Also, anyone know how to get a good seal around the door? A little bit of wind seems to push out the canvas where it attaches to the door. Ughh...I feel like I bought a boat (lol) but I am excited for all the fun we will have with the kids this summer.
If your canvas attaches via the same method as our 03 did (folding and tucking a bead at the edge of the canvas into a channel in the door frame), you can use a length of paracord tucked in with a plastic putty scraper. We had one side that was loose like you describe. A good breeze, or, after the door opening and closing a few times, would cause it to come out. We just used the smaller paracord, and left enough sticking out at the top to make removal easy when it was time to pack up.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Our Viking pop up we bought in 2006 had some mildew spots on the bunk ends, so we found Mildew Stain Remover from Starbrite from a local marina. It contains sodium hypochlorite (bleach), and sodium hydroxide, and worked great. Probably just as well as the formula DebKen used.( Just be careful, and don't get any of it on other fabric, or it'll stain it.) We removed the bunk mattresses and spread plastic sheets to protect from drips and overspray. Directions say to spray it on, leave until stain disappears, and rinse well. After that we made sure it was dry after an outing, and no more spots.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

shannonx3

Welcome to the JOF.

Hopefully you'll soon be out there camping with the kids.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #6

We just recently got a PUP that had sat through two Wisconsin winters and the inside was covered in mold and mildew. We contemplated just buying a new canvas for it but figured we would give some mold/mildew killer a try. Home Depot had "Mold Armor" for $4 for a 32oz bottle. We literally just sprayed it on the canvas and the mold and mildew disappeared immediately. There was no rinsing or scrubbing required.
ddunse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

I have just successfully - and by "just" I mean today - finished cleaning the mold and mildew from our newly purchased 2002 12LSO. I used Dollar General Mold and Mildew remover. $2.00 a bottle and it works like a charm. It has a strong bleach smell, but does have a bit of sudsing action that allows the canvas surface to be covered completely. Spray. Wipe. Repeat. For a whole day! But the canvas I thought was ruined looks like new.
Tcarlson2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarlson2003 View Post
I have just successfully - and by "just" I mean today - finished cleaning the mold and mildew from our newly purchased 2002 12LSO. I used Dollar General Mold and Mildew remover. $2.00 a bottle and it works like a charm. It has a strong bleach smell, but does have a bit of sudsing action that allows the canvas surface to be covered completely. Spray. Wipe. Repeat. For a whole day! But the canvas I thought was ruined looks like new.
Welcome to the JOF and thanks for the tip.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

AMAZING mildew remover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonx3 View Post
What is the best method to clean the canvas on the inside when it has mildew? We just recently purchased a 1999 Jayco 12FSO.

We had the same problem with our 2001 and I researched and found a product made for canvas boat covers and sails. It's called "Star Brite Mildew Stain Remover" and it is THE MOST AWESOME stuff I have ever used! You spray it on, wait 10-15 minutes and rinse with a damp sponge and the mildew stains are TOTALLY GONE!! No scrubbing! On the outside my husband applied it with a soft car wash brush, waited a few minutes and rinsed with the hose. Mildew GONE!! I guarantee if you get this product you will not be disappointed!! After it dried, we used Star Brite Waterproofing over the whole canvas of the trailer. Star Brite also makes a product to put on before storage that resists mildew for up to 3 months. If I knew how to post pictures here, I'd post my before and after pictures that I took, they are unbelievable!!
mirage790 is offline   Reply With Quote