Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Mushy floor under roof lift winch

last week while camping I noticed the lino floor was stained. I called the local Jayco dealer and he said the lino floor gets stained when there is water beneath it. JAYCO OWNERS TAKE NOTE SHOULD YOU SEE STAINED LINO FLOOR.

I am very careful to watch if caulking is needed anywhere. Its not. The dealer told me to look at the cap you open to raise the roof. Sure enough it was never caulked at the factory so I never looked there. I stuffed paper towels inside the cap and SPRAYED it with water and the paper towels got soaked. The cap had the hinge at the top and looks like it would catch water so I placed the hing at the bottom and a tiny piece of paper got wet. ANOTHER THING TO CHECK. I am going to look for another type cap (cover).

Now for the bad part. The floor under the roof lift winch is extremely soft. I am going to install a piece of plywood under the camper beneath the winch and cover it with sheet metal for protection. I can do that with the roof closed and I assume therefore there should be no danger in removing the nuts as there should be no tension. Am I right.

I then plan to put a piece of wood inside the camper under the winch. If after raising the roof and if i support the roof with poles I assume there should be no tension and I can safely remove the winch to put plywood under it. Am I right?

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to share with others what to look for. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
campzama1 is offline   Reply With Quote