Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #1

Newbie Question

Just got back from a weekend of camping in the rain, and have a question regarding the canvas in our new 1206. When we were going to bed we noticed that our bedding was damp, which I assumed that it was because it was cool and rainy outside and warm in the trailer with no screens or the roof vent open no real movement of air. I also noticed that the pole that pops up the bunk end canvas had beads of water on it. Is this a common occurrence or is this something that I should be worried about and be contacting my dealer??

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #2

Damp as in condensation or damp as in sopping wet?

If your bedding was sopping wet, I'd inspect carefully for leaks. Make sure the canvas is all zipped up correctly and velcro'd down.

You could even set up in the driveway and use the garden hose while a family member checks closely inside for water breaches. You want to nip any water intrusion in the bud. Consult with your dealer for sure. That's what they are there for.
Big Bad John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #3

More than likely, its condensation. Over the course of the night, you'll probably notice the same amount, if not more, condensation on the inside of the camper in the morning.
I agree with BBJ- if you have puddles, or sopping wet areas- you have a leak that needs to be found.

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully 66 View Post
with no screens or the roof vent open no real movement of air.

I believe that's the key. No screens or vent open. We always leave a little opening and keep the vent fan running when humid or raining. No problems.
We did leave the camper closed up tight once and came back during a rain storm to find what you found. You must keep the air flowing thru the camper.

Just my 2 cents.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflight View Post
I believe that's the key. No screens or vent open. We always leave a little opening and keep the vent fan running when humid or raining. No problems.
We did leave the camper closed up tight once and came back during a rain storm to find what you found. You must keep the air flowing thru the camper.
Just my 2 cents.

Agree with everything Topflight says. You will also notice this when the nights get fairly cool, in the morning you will sometimes have small droplets of condensation on the inside of your canvas.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

I agree with the rest. The best money you will ever spend on your camper.......A maxxair type vent cover. You can leave the vents open all the time even while driving down the road a 15-20 min install and you are all set

http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...=0,-1&hei=1000

The link has some picture in case you don't know what I'm talking about. The Ramble vent cover (not a maxxair produc) I have seen for about 15 bucks on sale.
CentralNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #7

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help just got back again from a week long trip which it rained really hard on and off and I did not find any leaks or puddles inside trailer. The canvas just had some beads of condensation on it in the morning. So in the future I will definately keep the vent or a screen open a little to keep some air movng.

Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #8

to all --Just as an fyi I left my bath vent open during "Irene" and the maxx air didn't allow one drop to get in & we got 4" of rain in 12 hrs Larry