Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #1

No more Jay Series?

What ever happened to the 'upper' end fold-down trailers that Jayco used to sell? Is this one of those Jayco bought Starcraft, Thor bought Jayco type things?

Are the currently available ones sub-par in any way?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #2

Fold down?

Like a pop-up or a hybrid?
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #3

It certainly looks like it is gone. Pop-ups no longer sell in the quantities like they used to so they evidently cut back on the model lines.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

This always happens on buy-out deals. The new parent company sends in the bean counters to see where cuts can be made and profitability can be enhanced. I just hope Thor doesn't ruin Jayco.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

All the pop-ups were coming out of the STARCRAFT facility in Topeka. If memory serves me correctly STARCRAFT dropped pop-ups before the THOR buy out. The sales volume has been dropping over the last several years and it is probably a simple matter of decreased demand.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

So on the bright side.........those of us with PUPS will have genuine antiques in a few years and the Millennials will be willing to pay big bucks for the "retro-grade, lower carbon foot print, more natural" experience............Sweeeeeeeet.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #7

I was at the dealer this week and the pop up topic came up. He used to sell 100-125 a year, last year he sold 4. With the combined introduction of Hybrids(nicer units), SUV's(better towing) they demand for pop ups has taken a serious plunge.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post
So on the bright side.........those of us with PUPS will have genuine antiques in a few years and the Millennials will be willing to pay big bucks for the "retro-grade, lower carbon foot print, more natural" experience............Sweeeeeeeet.
Love your way of thinking Lifespalette. Actually encountered that when we sold our 1989 Jayco 806 for $1700.

As to the quality, I was thinking it was overall Jayco, but maybe it's just with the popups. Definitely not what we had come to expect from Jayco.
jmbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

I sent Jayco a email about this over a week ago - they haven't responded. Normally they are pretty good w/ responses. I'm not sure if the lack of response is a Thor thing or a "we really don't have anything good to say about fold-downs" thing.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #10

Still no answer from Jayco. Is it b/c they didn't like my question, or is this Thor's influence now I wonder?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbmoore View Post
Love your way of thinking Lifespalette. Actually encountered that when we sold our 1989 Jayco 806 for $1700.

As to the quality, I was thinking it was overall Jayco, but maybe it's just with the popups. Definitely not what we had come to expect from Jayco.
Unfortunately jmbmoore, the quality issues are industry wide. it's not just Jayco. It's actually the guaranteed byproduct of the mass production means and driving force to create the "biggest bang for your buck"....if you recall the modular pre-fabricated home (doublewides) went through the same demise and eventual turn down. Simply put, shodding or cheap construction details and poor quality control left products that left the factor for quick sell and the complaints started rolling in. Walls and ceilings cracking, cabinets falling apart, trim falling off, floors sagging, etc., etc.. The industry evolved and started using better quality products, improved their quality control, improved their design and processes and the result is a much better product on the whole. Have you been in some of the new modular homes?

I suspect the RV camping industry is entering into the same mine field and will have to evolve as well or fail. The big question is who will be left standing.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #12

I tried reaching out to Jayco a second time regarding the dissolving of the Jay Series and having only the Sport models available now. I specifically asked how what they offer now differs from what they offered just one year ago.

Still no response from Jayco. Given the apparent cheapening of the Jayco pop-ups and complete lack of communication (from the Sales channel no less), I find myself looking at the Rockwood pop-ups. They still have a very healthy model line up.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #13

I am also confused as to what you refer to as a "pop-up". Do you mean a tent trailer, where the top cranks up? (We've had 2 through the years, and it took a lot of cranking, no popping up for us.) Or are you talking about the hybrids, where the beds fold down out of the walls? (Which we have now.)

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #14

Tent trailer. Fold down trailer.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #15

My issue with the Popups is that the price has risen up enough that there is no longer a compelling reason to purchase one. I loved our popup and wanted to buy one with modern technology, like a fridge over the built in ice chest of our old one. I also wanted a bathroom. The difference in cost between the X23B and a popup that gave us everything I wanted wasn't that much, so we moved up to the hybrid. Yes it is harder to pull, but it is much, much less hassle to set up.

Edited to add - Just looked up the Rockwood HW296, which is around what we wanted from a Popup. It might actually be more expensive than our X23B.
Retired - 1996 Coleman Cheyenne Pop-Up
RIP Chloe, a very good dog - 9/15/01-12/02/17

johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #16

For me the thing that pulls me is the lack of complexity. Not in setting up, but in everything else.

No slideouts to fail. No leveling jacks to fail. Anything else 'fails' in a popup really isn't that bad all things considered.

Easy to pull, very little concern w/ sway.

I can store it in my garage - so that takes care of any leaks or issues that would develop from having the trailer sit next to my house or in a storage yard.

These things all depreciate like nobody's business. Depreciating at a popup price point is much more doable to me now after suffering through a travel trailer, a motorhome trade in, and a motorhome consignment. If this loses 3/4 of its value by year 5, I won't be heartbroken.

Plus, at least w/ my family we weren't 'camping' anymore. For the cost of my rig and the limited time we could spend in it we went full hookups at resorts. Which was nice, but it wasn't camping. By any stretch. We are missing the quieter more woodsy angle you get at State Parks.