Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Unhappy Oh Geez what will be next. Hope someone can help.

We put our pop up to get it ready to leave in a few days and had a storm last night and it slammed the half door across the screen door and bent the hinges. We tried straightening to to avail. We don't know what they looked like before! We don't have time to wait for Jayco to send a replacement if they even have them! Could we use one from the hardware store? We just don't know how they should look This camping is becoming more stressful every darn day.
Jalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

Which hinge? The half door, or the full door? The half door hinge on our 1007 is pretty easy, it is a drop in pin hinge (so the door can be easily removed). Might find one at the hardware, but IIRC it was riveted into position.

If it bent the main door hinges, those are integral to the door itself. Probably need a whole new door.

Took a quick scan through the Jayco Parts Direct catalog and unfortunately didn't see a match.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

It is the half door. We just don't know what degree the hinge was before it got bent

out of shape and I can not find a picture of it anywhere. I have searched everywhere.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #4

It would be much easier for someone to help you if you posted some basic information about your trailer:

Like what model.. what year..

Maybe a picture of what you have now that is bent...

There's lots of smart people here... but you have got to give us something to work with other than my door is bent..
Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

I didn't realize all the doors were different. It is a Jayco 1207.

I don't have any pics but i can get some in a bit.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

Many of us view the forums by using the "Recent Threads" box on the right of the screen (if you are on a computer). Sometimes that get people reading threads that are not necessarily in the section for the rig they own. There are lots of common parts to various RV's but then some models have some unique features (such as the half door on your popup). Also Jayco (and all manufacturers) tend to change things from year to year.

I wasn't trying to be rude.

I understand how it can be frustrating when your trying to get out the door and have a good time and something breaks. But what I was getting at is that you have a ton of very resourceful people here, who might not own your rig. But with a picture and some information might be able to come up with a creative solution to your problem.

I know when I'm stressed out it is hard to think of all my options for a problem and sometimes the solution is much easier than I see it at the time.

If the problem doesn't prevent you from bringing the top down on your rig and using it sometimes it is easier to head out camping and just relax and deal with the problem with a clearer head.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

My lower HALF DOOR is permanently mounted and just opens and closes like a regular door. The TOP HALF is a frame with an inner door/screens and swings down from the roof section after the top is up and attaches in position. The inside of the frame attaches to the top of the lower half door and both then open and close only using the inside hinges... The upper frame stays in place... The botton door hinges are already mounted to the side wall... I guess all of that makes sense haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Yeah, it's be 25 years since I owned a popup. It took me watching a video on youtube to remember how the doors worked. It's a fairly complicated set of frames and hinges to make the whole thing work and I could see how one thing being out of adjustment affects the entire assemby now.

Hopefully the OP gets it worked out and can enjoy the trip.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #9

My bottom half door would take a pretty large wind storm to do any damage to it...

I have no idea if the JAYCO door setup is like mine or not... I suspect they all have half doors but maybe not... I could go ahead with the trip just fine i think and work on the top part later. Maybe bring along a short tarp section to put up temporarily in case it starts raining on you at the camp site with the top up...

We go alot to the Smoky Mtns with our setup and usually put a big 30-foot by 30-foot tarp over the whole trailer... The camp site there drips rain water from the trees days after rain storms... Everybody there puts up large tent tarps and lives under them haha...

This is a 30' x 30' tarp over one of my tent setups probably at the smoky mtns... Hmmm The trees look more like somewhere down the Blue Ridge Parkway - Otter Creek I bet...

Roy's image

Keep the door open if the mosquitoes are not too bad...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

There are a couple of photos of the exterior half door hinge here (scroll down for a slightly better picture):

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f8...oor-35663.html

There is a great closeup of the hinge from "some other brand" forum here (goes to show how common these parts are in the industry).

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-29083.html

It really is a simple flat hinge, nothing too fancy to it. Pins go in the door side leaf, and pull upward out of the frame side half.

Note that once you get it fixed, you may want to prevent future issues. Many of these Jaycos have an extra set of hinge receivers mounted under the rear bunk. You can hang and clip the door under there once setup. Just don't forget the door is there when sliding in the bunk. Others have a cargo door type catch on the side to hold the door in the open position when the wind is up.

You can see the doors done both ways in this video (1006 removed and stowed, 1206 open and latched, 1208 removed and inside the trailer on the bed (?)):

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote