Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

One corner not coming up on the pop-up

Greetings. Just returned from a weekend trip and was going to set the trailer back up to dry out a bit, and the back left corner of the pop up is not moving. Something must have become unhooked.

Any advice on where I need to look first?

Also, could overcranking when stowing the top cause this to happen?

(Jayco Eagle 12HW)
Unworthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

One corner not coming up on the pop-up

Sounds like you have a broken cable(s). It happened to me on our old pop-up. And yes over cranking when you are closing up could be the cause. I took mine to a shop to get fixed. I think they charged me $200, that was 10+ years ago however.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

I'm hoping it is not a break. Did not hear anything. I'm thinking it might be a cable jumped a pulley, or something came loose.

Trying to figure out how to access the cabling system. I'm guessing I have to get inside, which means I'll have to find a way to get it open / up...

Not looking forward to this...
Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Yes it is not an easy job I suspect. That is why I took mine to a shop, figured they had the tools and knowledge. Good luck, maybe there is a good video on YouTube?

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Whelp, here's the report from Day 1. After looking on the internet for answers, which helped some, but still left me unsure about where to start, I decided to get dirty.

First thing was to get the top up with a dead corner. I parked under a big limb, hooked up my come-a-long and cranked and racheted the thing until it was fully deployed, then set up the trailer and got some air going (cuz it hot in Texas...)

After that I measured and cut 1 X 4's to use as supports near the extension poles (they were about 47.5 inches long)

Next, I took apart the step next to the sink and queen-bed to gain access to the cabling system near the winch. After looking around a bit, I found one of the four 1/4-20 eye hooks had nearly straightened out and the cable had slipped off. I had my daughter crank the winch in the direction to lower the top so I could pull the connection area to where I could work on it, and removed and rebent the eyehook (yeah, may not be the best idea, but wanted to try). I slipped the cable end back on and then cranked it back to near tight. I then noticed that the cables were not equally tensioned, and lo and behold, the tightest one was the one that straightened out. So, after about 6-8 iterations of cranking down, changing eyebolt lengths by adjusting the nuts, and cranking back up again, I finally got the tensioning pretty close I think.

BUT, I have not tested it because it was nearly 10pm when I got done with that, so I'll see if it was truly a success tomorrow. If it works, I'll probably grease the gear a bit, and see if I can find some silicone spray for the poles, and then put everything back together.

Note: When we were stowing the camper to come home, we had a bit more trouble than usual getting the roof to come down evenly. Particularly the last foot or so. We did some pushing down on the corner(s) that were giving us trouble, and I suspect that may have contributed to the straightening out of the eyebolt...

I'll let y'all know what happens tomorrow...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Your process is almost exactly what I did for a similar problem, except I bought a new hook on the way to the beach (!!) and installed it during setup. I believe that in my case, I tried to raise the roof with one latch still down and it eventually straighten and pulled loose.

Funny story about trying to buy a new hook.. I called 4 different rv places along the highway, stopped in, none of them even really carried pop up parts.. Eventually got a hook at <big hardware store>.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #7

FYI, those bend because they are only rated for 65 lbs. each. I just went through this on my NTM '99 1207 last week. Found 1/4" x 4" " Closed Eye Bolts rated at 500 lbs. each. Replaced all 4. MUCH better.

CHANGE IT NOW while you have it apart. It will happen again. 2 of mine were bent. The culprit causing my left front corner to not lift was straight! Swagging supplies are to be found at hardware store, big box stores, etc.

1. Support all four corners of roof with (4) 2x4's ( 2x2 would work), all cut to same length.
2. Release tension on cables by "lowering with crank.
3. Cut out/Replace each 1/4" x 4" eye bolt with solid, closed eye bolts, one at a time. starting with bent culprit. I used my bolt cutters to crimp the new swags. Hint. Cut the cable directly at the old swag so you have a fresh cable to work with. Don't try to use the previously bent cable section. Cut it away (cheap angle grinder/cut off wheel from Harbor Freight is under $20). New swags $4 for two.
4. Adjust tension evenly across all cables. The key to equalizing tension at the Wiffle Tree was to adjust each new solid eye bolt so as to make the Wiffle Tree straight/even, while achieving basically same cable tension on all 4 cables. The Wiffle Tree should not be angled in any direction but rather straight up and down and even side to side.
5. Crank "UP" to apply tension to cable and remove supports.
6. Enjoy knowing 2000 pounds can be supported instead of the mere 260 lbs (4 bolts x 65 lbs each).

Good luck
2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #8

Great work - Glad it was you that jumped in there... That would scare me to death haha...

My 2008 Starcraft 14RT POPUP came with two 'Lifter Arm Safety POSTS' where you was to use in two opposite corners after raising the roof. I fabricated two more so now I have one in each of the four corners.

After I raise the roof I insert these fours POSTS and then bring the roof down on top of them relieving all of the pressure on the cables.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote