Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Please help!! NEWBIE going to buy a 2001 Jayco Quest 8'

I am Going to look at a Jayco Quest on sat, it is the 8ft model. I need to know what to look for as far as common issues, defects, and are there any sure signs that I should pass on the deal of I see them. This is my first popup, just it married and the wide says she will camp more if she doesn't have to sleep in a tent on an air mattress. Also what size beds are in the quest? And is $700 a good price? They kept lowering the price and finally it was for $1000 and I offered $700 they said yes. Any help is appreciated
Liam5340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

We couldnt get to our fridge in our first PU when it was folded down due to the swing over galley. We made sure our 2nd one was not the same situation. This makes it so much easier to stock the fridge prior to departure w/o having to lift the roof.

Be sure the canvas & vinyl are not torn, look under the mattress all the way around the foundation for signs of water damage or mold. Get on the ground & look under the trailer for any damage. Test every appliance, lift system and power outlet. The converter can be costly to replace. Assumeyou will need a new battery & will spend about $300-$500 in items needed when you move up to a trailer.

Enjoy and good luck
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Please help!! NEWBIE going to buy a 2001 Jayco Quest 8'

Might want to proof read your post......calling your DW "wide" might not be a good idea.

Obviously run all of the appliances, have the owner show you how to put it up / down, look for signs if water damage in the roof, ensure no soft spots on the floor, inspect the canvas, frame, etc.

Be very cautious, if the owner keeps dropping the price it could be because the seller is motivated or because there are issues.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Apparently I need to proof read lol. Ya they said they got a new PU, that is the reason for selling, I think they just want it gone before winter here in Buffalo, NY. Also what items are you referring to when you say expect to spend $3-$500 when moving up to a popup? Also I'm 6'2", is this PU too small for my wife and I to sleep in a bed?
Liam5340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Be careful if it has been sitting a long time....brakes (if equipped), bearings and tires could be shot or fail if towed. Make sure there are no infestations of mice or other creatures in all the storage areas and cushions.

EDIT: Seems like a VERY good price...on RV Trader they were going between $2,400-$4,000....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Items tou will need/will want:
*water hose
*in line water filter
*water pressure regulator
*bedding
*towels
*dishes, pots, pans
*leveling blocks (lynx type)
*level bar (magnetic works best)
*tire chocks
*30amp to 120v adapter
*Portable table for outside use
*air vent cover (like maxx air type)
*canvas sealant sray
*extra fuses, bulbs
*port-a-john if desired
*outdoor camping mat
*fresh water tank sanitizer tablets or liquid
*lug wrench and jack to change tires in emergency
*storage bins, drawer organizers, cubby bins

And about a hundred other things you may like as you walk up and down the aisles of Camping World.

Good luck and make sure your DW never learns that you described her as 'wide' or you will get cold sleeping alone in your new mancave trailer.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Floorplan / Mattress Size

Click image for larger version

Name:	640x480.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	10382
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #8

I recently bought a used popup, and I wish I had hooked up to the tow vehicle and tested the lights and brakes before settling on the price. I recently found that the reason the brakes don't work is that the wire is cut from the connector. I would have negotiated lower if I had known at the time.

The big expenses I had after purchase: sales tax in Texas, title / registration fee, new deep cycle battery, new spare because I had a blow out on the way home, bottle of toilet chemical (since mine has a cassette toilet), brake controller for my tow vehicle, 7 pin connector for the tow and trailer, tire chocks.

Also, stjohneyre's list above is comprehensive, but my camper came with most of that stuff from the previous owner, such as the drain hoses and whatnot.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

One cut wire should not be hard to reconnect. What I would be suspect of... why was it cut. Welcome to the wonderful world of campers. There is always some kind of "fidgeting" to do with campers. Hopefully in your case it will be a clear cut case of reconnecting that wire. I suspect that the brake control mechanism on the camper might be frozen. I dont see any reason why someone would cut that wire on purpose.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #10

Would be nice if the OP came back and gave an update on the camper and if they bought it or not.
teejaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote