Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Power converter problem

Took the family camping and think we may have experienced a power converter failure. We have a 1998 Eagle 10 ST RD with a Centurion 3000 power converter. The trailer does not have a battery, we only run off shore power. We had the interior lights on and a fan/light plugged into the auxiliary plug on the dome light with the fan on. We heard a loud pop and all the lights and fan turned off. Checked the converter and could smell an electronic burn odor. All breakers were fine and all 4 fuses on the exterior are good. Is there another fuse inside the enclosure to check? Or should I go ahead and chalk it up as a bad converter and upgrade to the PD 4135? Anyone have experience with this upgrade? Obviously I'm not going to be using to the full capacity of the unit since we don't have a battery. Literally just using to convert shore power for interior lighting and one exterior light. $150 plus my labor seems a little steep for lighting to me. Any pointers are much appreciated.
Bulldawg0583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

I think your nose and ears confirmed an electronic component failed. Your only choice at this point is the either fix it or replace it. You should be able to sight the bad component but that may not be the only one that's bad.

A loud noise and bad aroma could indicate a blown electrolytic capacitor but other components could fail in the same manner.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

I started to reply suggesting a simple transformer, but...

How large of a transformer would be needed? There are 12v fans, and heater/fridge controls, and bulbs, and the propane/CO detector, and ?

So I started thinking that if it was me, I'd look for an inexpensive converter to replace the failed one. Maybe more expensive than just a transformer, but probably easier and safer in the long run.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

I have to agree with hoppers4, "I think your nose and ears confirmed an electronic component failed." The Centurion 3000 power converter has been discontinued and failures of them aren't all that uncommon.....their track record isn't all that great. Could have been a number of causes from insects to dust, cobwebs, or just plain age and vibrations finally loosened a pot solder to the point that you got a gap and and arc. Electrical components don't like arcs. There is an internal fuse component on the board, but if that failed then you've got some other problem to hunt down. I would plan on replacing the unit and while you're at it you might throw some leads on all your 12v wires and check for continuity and shorts. Your model is almost 20 years old, wire sheathings get frayed, connections get loose, pest chew on things.....it may be a good idea to take this opportunity and check the entire electrical system for any other issues.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote