Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Question Question in lift rod repair

I have a cable that is broke on the left front and I’m going to go ahead and replace all the lift cables and replace any of the fiber pulleys with new ones. I will most likely replace them all useing ball baring sliding glass door guide rollers, what do you think on that idia. Another Question!!!!!!!! I have one lift rod that has been separating into 2 sections when putting it up but I have just kept an eye on it and slipped the lower section up as it goes up. Can I correct this or just replace the entire lift. Any input?
Waynein fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am not familiar with repairing the lift system for a pop up.
I did find a couple videos on Youtube.
Doesn't look like the easiest repair.
Personally, I would use OEM parts.
I just wouldn't want the thing to fall on anyone. I figure the original engineering is what I would use as the basis for my repair.

Keep us updated on your repairs.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

I own a Jayco Sportsman pop up truck camper. I was told that if any of them ever snaped to replace them with a much higher grade aircraft cable.
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Well I started the repairs this week on the lift system on my 93 Jayco cardinal designer series 25th anniversary. I have ordered the parts on Wednesday consisting of 1 lift post with push spring, 1 corner track and pulley, 1 rear flat deck pulley and a set of premade lift cables. I have to remove the wench unit to replace the lift rod, also need to rebuild the supporting point for the new corner track and then restring the lift cables. My buddy that is helping thinks I’m crazy to do this because once the last screw is put back in it will be sold. I just can’t sell something this needy of repair and feel good about it. Plus this camper is in fabulous condition inside and out and has many years of good camping left in it. I’m taking a ride to look at a 2011 Forest River Flagstaff BR28TSC as it will meet my needs better to get to the woods and have the ATVs with us. I will post pictures of completed job when finished.

The Jayco work in progressClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130426-00081.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	7595

The possable new unit Name:  4397591.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  5.8 KB
Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

Well New unit in the driveway........The Jayco is now on the market.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #6

All Done and works Outstanding. FYI the sliding glass door replacement pulleys from lowes worked excelent and lees then !/2 the money and the grove is just as deep and are all ballbarings.