Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Question Replace Bed rails on 1995 Jayco PUP

1995 Jayco J Series 1207 Popup

After sealing the roof, the wife and I tried to put the thing up. Everything went well until we tried to pull the front bed out. It went part way and stuck. We pushed and pulled and shoved and finally about the time we were ready to light the damn thing on fire, managed to get it out. We got the supports under it (but didn't lay on it) and got it all set up.

I bought some silicone spray and sprayed the holy heck out of it on both sides and also did the read bed even though it came out easily.

I noticed that there is a plastic shim that did not move with the front rail. I lubed it up and got it shoved back in. We loaded it up with camping gear we have had in storage and let it sit for a few days and then tried to take it down. It did go in but only after a fight and a lot of cussing and more spraying.

How hard is it to change these rails out? And just how do I go about doing it? I am more or less mechanically inclined, but want to do it the right way so the thing works. We want to use it later on in the next few months and need it to work.

In a search I found these: Jayco Bedslide - 72 [PA-JAYC0091985] - $40.00 : Pop-Up Parts!, Specializing in Folding Trailer Parts

This looks like half of the thing... I also need the aluminum rail that the thing slides in also...

Any help would be appreciated..
EvilUncleEarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #2

I Feel Your Pain

We recently bought a '96 Eagle 10UD and have the very same problem with our front bed. As evidenced by the pictures that I uploaded, both the slide and the track/channel it slides in have been bent and need to be replaced. I'm also going to have to replace the bottom plastic piece that, as is the case with yours, has slid out from whence it came. By spraying the crap out of all the parts, my wife and I can get the bed to slide in and out but it's a two person job.

I've read various forum posts (Jayco Owners, PopUpPortal...) on the bed rail problem and discovered that with the pop up year and VIN number, a Jayco dealership can get the replacement parts. We're taking our grandchildren to WDW Fort Wilderness the first week of April so I'm going to order the parts from Three Way Campers in Marietta, GA on Monday and replace the parts before we leave. I am only marginally handy but from what I can tell, the most challenging part of this repair is getting the bed slide out and then back in again after the new parts have been attached.

I'll let you know how it goes and take some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
96 Jayco Eagle 10 UD_King Bed Slide_1.jpg   96 Jayco Eagle 10 UD_King Bed Slide_2.jpg   96 Jayco Eagle 10 UD_King Bed Slide_3.jpg  
Jayco96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

New Bed Rail Installed!!!

EvilUncleErnie - I was in San Diego last week and had jury duty this week so I wasn't able to pick up the new bed rail(s) - I bought two thinking I might want to have a spare just in case - until yesterday and I installed it today.

I was expecting that this would be major job because I'd have to remove the entire bed but this was not the case at all. Because the bed was sufficiently supported by the bed braces (and our garbage can which fit perfectly under the end of the bed), all I had to do was remove the four bolts and stand-offs that secure the rail to the side of the bed, and the "safety bolt" that keeps the rail from sliding too far.

Attaching the new slide was a little tricky because the holes in the side of the bed and those in the rail, didn't want to line up. I finally used a screwdriver to force the alignment and the bolts slipped in pretty easily.

The aluminum channel that the rail slides on was bent so I beat on it with a hammer to straighten it out a little and I was able to push that plastic track back in place.

I think the entire job took about an hour and now the bed slides in and out "like buttah"!
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Rail Repair_1.jpg   Bed Rail Repair_3.jpg   New and Old Rails.jpg  
Jayco96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the pix... I sent you a PM but will reply here also. Sorry it took so long to reply.

I tried to get the parts from Jayco and they referred me to the local dealer, which as it happened is where we bought the pup from. And they developed a huge case of dumbass. It seems they do NOT work on Pups, do NOT sell them (other than used ones that people trade in) and do NOT order parts for them, and even if they did, they only carry parts for the last 10 years.

So they are worthless...It appears if I want something done It will be a self help project. I found a place Pop-Up Parts!, Specializing in Folding Trailer Parts that has the slides. $50 for the large ones and $27 for the small ones... So it looks like I will have to go that way....
Old 05-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco96 View Post
EvilUncleErnie - I was in San Diego last week and had jury duty this week so I wasn't able to pick up the new bed rail(s) - I bought two thinking I might want to have a spare just in case - until yesterday and I installed it today.

I was expecting that this would be major job because I'd have to remove the entire bed but this was not the case at all. Because the bed was sufficiently supported by the bed braces (and our garbage can which fit perfectly under the end of the bed), all I had to do was remove the four bolts and stand-offs that secure the rail to the side of the bed, and the "safety bolt" that keeps the rail from sliding too far.

Attaching the new slide was a little tricky because the holes in the side of the bed and those in the rail, didn't want to line up. I finally used a screwdriver to force the alignment and the bolts slipped in pretty easily.

The aluminum channel that the rail slides on was bent so I beat on it with a hammer to straighten it out a little and I was able to push that plastic track back in place.

I think the entire job took about an hour and now the bed slides in and out "like buttah"!
I have a question... Did you also replace the metal track that the bed slides in and out of? Ours are bent at spots. I would hate to replace the metal slides and then have to replace them again because the track is bent.