Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

Replacing a canvas window flap

Has anyone out there replaced a section of the canvas on their pop up? By canvas, I mean literally canvas (fabric), not the vinyl. The canvas zip up flap on the inside of one of the slide-out sides, that covers the screen is totally rotted from rain/mildew on our new-to-us pop up. I am a pretty competent seamstress, so I feel pretty sure that I can use the old flap as a pattern, just wondering how far I would need to take the canvas off the camper to get to what I need to do. The zipper is also, fortunately in good shape. I can plug in the camper to 120v and take my sewing machine out there and work on the table or on the counter where the stove goes if need be. I am thinking I would probably need to take the tent part off down the side to where it attaches with screws on the inside at the opposite end. Hoping I don't have to go too far with removing the canvas. I just need enough maneuvering room to get that new flap stitched at the bottom into the vinyl and get the zipper stitched around the edge of the new canvas flap. Hubbs can support and help maneuver the tent around as I sew.
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

It's been a while since we had a PU, most likely it would be easiest to remove the entire bunk end. Dutch you might be able to open the bunk, and do it while stand up front with the machine on the bunk.

The question is what do you have for a sewing machine? That is a lot of heavy material, and you will need a heavy duty machine. I would simulate sewing the canvas with some old blue jeans just to determine if you can do it, before tearing it apart.

You might find a shop that can do it for a reasonable price.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

This doesn't answer the question.

If parts of the tent end are that bad can deterioration of the other sections be far behind?

You don't mention model or year. There are replacement tent ends available for most models. Replacement of the entire end might be worth the money.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #4

It's a 1996, 1206KB. It's only one flap and it's only the fabric canvas, not the vinyl that is bad. It had a leak problem and the fabric has rotted because of moisture getting in while it was closed and not being able to dry out. The vinyl in that area is toally ok, as is the fabric screen covers on the rest of the bunk end. It's just this one that needs to be replaced. I'm pretty confident that my machine will be able to handle stitching this, with the right needle in it. Sewing the zipper to the canvas will be a breeze, just going through the bottom edge will be where I need to go really slow and carefully, and that's ok. Failing my machine working well on the bottom edge, I am prepared to hand sew the seam together. I have upholstery needles. That would just take a while to do. I don't know how anyone would be able to replace just one end of the tent, since it's all sewn together and there is no place where it is completely separated so you could only take a portion of it off.
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote